Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Nicos Maris <ni...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/25 15:07:50 UTC

would you join a Slack workspace for Flink?

Hi all,

This mailing list is for user support and questions. If you would also use
slack for user support and questions, then please vote at the following
ticket. If you don't have an account at that jira, you can reply to this
email with a "+1".

[FLINK-10217 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3862>] use Slack
for user support and questions

Current status

For user support and questions, users are instructed to subscribe to
user@flink.apache.org but there are users like me who enjoy using also a
chat channel. However, the instructions to do so are not clear and the IRC
activity is low and it is definitely not indicative of the project's
activity
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3862?focusedCommentId=16152376&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16152376>
.

The website <https://flink.apache.org/community.html> mentions that "If you
want to talk with the Flink committers and users in a chat, there is an IRC
channel <https://flink.apache.org/community.html#irc>."
Option 1: Use Slack

An example of an Apache project that is using Slack
<https://tedium.co/2017/10/17/irc-vs-slack-chat-history> is:
http://mesos.apache.org/community

I can assist on setting it up if at least one expert joins from the very
beginning.
Option 2: Keep using IRC and document it

Add the missing section
<https://github.com/apache/flink-web/blob/master/community.md#irc> at the
website along with instructions for people who have never used IRC.
Option 3: Use only the mailing list

Use only user@flink.apache.org for user support and questions and do not
mention IRC at the website.

Re: would you join a Slack workspace for Flink?

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
I fully agree with Fabian, we'd just be replacing an empty IRC with an
empty gitter.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nicos,

That looks like a good start!
Would you like to open n issue and a pull request?

Thanks, Fabian

Posted by Nicos Maris <ni...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you Fabian.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nicos Maris <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dominik,

Fwd: would you join a Slack workspace for Flink?

Posted by Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nicos,

Posted by Nicos Maris <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.