Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/17 03:42:00 UTC

New Tomahawk Branch

I just created a new tomahawk branch (retroactively) from r378399.
Martin pointed out to me that Sylvains recent checkin also depended on
a change in commons which we had already released.  So in order to
avoid problems like this we'll start the branch now.

All bug fixes to tomahawk before the release should go in the branch
only until we release and then we merge down.  Please don't fix in the
trunk.  If the fix is too experimental for the release that's ok to
fix in the trunk then.  Also new stuff like Sylvain's checkin and my
upcoming tree2 changes should go in the trunk.

We'll turn our attention to the tomahawk release next week once we
release the core.

Sean

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Interesting scenario but I don't like your conclusion.  We want to get
away from forcing a releaase of all three at the same time.  That was
a major goal of the maven reorg.  We need to try to solve this problem
without always release all three.

Sean

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Good point about the TCK but I think we should handle that slightly
differently then what you are suggesting.

Why not test the TCK agains the trunk core with the branch commons?
If it passes you release commons.  At that point you are not likely to
need to fix anything on the upcoming core branch that would require a
commons change.  If you do, then just release commons again.

I like to get away from using release candidates.  We will be able to
release faster if we just specify a project and svn revision that we
are voting on.

Sean

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
As long as we have all renderer bases in commons, and many of the
utility classes, commons won't have a longer release cycle than
tomahawk.

That's the practical problem!

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, true.

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
It's probably also worth pointing out before we get too caught up in
the "doom and gloom" situation of incompatibilities that we need to
start making all commons releases backwards compatible in order for
end-users to depend upon them.   That will probably eliminate many of
the issues of incompatibility between core and tomahawk.

It still leaves the possiblity of the end-user installing two
different versions of commons.  Maybe we can install a phase listener
to warn the user when that happens :)

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1

Yes, I was going to suggest exactly the same thing!

Re: New Tomahawk Branch

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> You meant
>    4.) increment core snapshot version on the trunk
> instead, right?

Right.  Sorry about the confusion.

> Manfred

Sean