Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com> on 2004/05/10 17:10:51 UTC

conflict: strange conflict marking

Well, I had this strange conflict markers today again:

Had deleted a paragraph in my working copy.  Someone else did a
change two paragraphs further and committed.  On update I got the
conflict with the <<<<.mine/==== being empty, and the
====/>>>>.rxxx part containing three paragraphs: the one I had
deleted, the next unchanged paragraph, and finally the third
changed on the repository.

Should think that SVN is intelligent enough to understand that one
change happened *before* a given paragraph and the other *after*.
Also note that in the original case posted there was no delete nor
any other modification.  So there should not have been any conflict
at all.  Any clue?

Jan Hendrik
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     Let us build cathedrals of peace,
     where the people are free.
                -- Ronald Reagan

Re: conflict: strange conflict marking

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Re: conflict: strange conflict mark
kfogel@collab.net wrote on 10 May 2004, 13:35, at least in part:

> I think what's going on is that the principle of 'diff3' is to show a
> comparison between the two different final states, *not* between the
> two different changes.  The other person changed two paragraphs, but
> the final state of their region still included that other paragraph
> that you deleted.  Since that's what the file looked like for them at
> the time, that's what merge shows.

Not exactly, Karl.  Say there are paragraphs 1-5.  A deletes #2, B
modifies #4, the other paragraphs are not modified:

paragraph 1
paragraph 2  --> deleted by A
paragraph 3  --> not modified at all
paragraph 4  --> modified & committed by B
paragraph 5

Now that's what the merged file looked like after I updated:

paragraph 1
<<<<<.mine
=====
paragraph 2 (not modified by B, but deleted by A)
paragraph 3 (not modified at all)
paragraph 4 (modified by B)
paragraph 5

where I would have expected that SVN sees that one change is
before paragraph 3 (the deletion of #2), and the other change is
after paragraph 3 (the modification of #4), thus no conflict.  As said
to Ben it is a pity I first did my work and resolved the conflict and
thought of posting only hours later ...

Jan Hendrik

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     A lot of people out there pay good lip service
     to the idea of personal freedom ...
     right up to the point that someone tries to do something
     that they don't personally approve of.
                -- Neal Boortz

Re: conflict: strange conflict marking

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Jan Hendrik" <ja...@bigfoot.com> writes:
> Well, I had this strange conflict markers today again:
>
> Had deleted a paragraph in my working copy.  Someone else did a
> change two paragraphs further and committed.  On update I got the
> conflict with the <<<<.mine/==== being empty, and the
> ====/>>>>.rxxx part containing three paragraphs: the one I had
> deleted, the next unchanged paragraph, and finally the third
> changed on the repository.
>
> Should think that SVN is intelligent enough to understand that one
> change happened *before* a given paragraph and the other *after*.
> Also note that in the original case posted there was no delete nor
> any other modification.  So there should not have been any conflict
> at all.  Any clue?

I think what's going on is that the principle of 'diff3' is to show a
comparison between the two different final states, *not* between the
two different changes.  The other person changed two paragraphs, but
the final state of their region still included that other paragraph
that you deleted.  Since that's what the file looked like for them at
the time, that's what merge shows.

-Karl

Re: conflict: strange conflict marking

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote on 10 May 2004, 12:11, at least in part:

> Can you attach the 3 fulltext files to an email, and then also show us
> the merged result with conflict markers?  Be sure to cc: sander striker,
> because it's his libsvn_diff library which is doing the 3-way merge and
> producing conflict markers.  Maybe he can comment on the result.

Argh!  They are gone, again.  First resolved the conflicts and only
after work I thought of posting while scanning through the day's list
mail and happening to notice my previous posting on conflict
markers.  As a matter of fact I have widely resigned posting
troubles and annoyances, just try to get along and avoid the
situation in future (e.g. if something causes trouble like eol-style
property when switching between trunk/branch, well, then it is not
used anymore).  That surely is nothing but helpful for you, however,
I simply had to set priorities. Pondering about things that are not
essential part of one's work is really unhealthy when time is short
anyway.  However, I'll try to think of first zipping up all conflict files
first next time I see such a strange conflict marker.

Jan Hendrik

Re: conflict: strange conflict marking

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.