Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> on 2006/03/31 19:39:21 UTC

Re: [web] Derby site reorganization (resend)

http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html

On the home page we have the "Quick Links" section but in my mind they
are not "quick" as I have to expand to see the list before I can click
on them.

Can we just get them as a simple list, or even expanded by default?

Thanks,
Dan.

Re: Quick Start link and Document link request [was: [web] Derby site reorganization (resend)]

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> --- SNIP  --
>>
>> so, this is what the list would look like:
>>
>> Apache Derby
>> Charter
>> Quick Start
>> Derby Wiki
>> License
>> FAQS
> I have been looking at the new 'Quick Start' page on the Derby website
> One thing I would like to see added to the 'Basics' section of
> the page is a link to the online documents set (
> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#docs_10.1) . Or possibly
> duplicate the document list, whatever seems best.

Good suggestion -- thanks.
>  And something else I noticed
> 'Quick Start' is no longer a link in the sidebar of the HOME tab as
> shown above.  I recall it was suggested that it be removed so this may
> be intentional - if not, please be advised it needs to be readded.

I checked in changes to the web site last week that removed the "Quick
Start" link from the Home tab. See the announce in
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200604.mbox/%3c4440327B.8050804@bristowhill.com%3e,
which points to details in
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200604.mbox/%3c443FFC58.50704@bristowhill.com%3e
.

regards,

 -jean

Quick Start link and Document link request [was: [web] Derby site reorganization (resend)]

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> --- SNIP  --
>
>so, this is what the list would look like:
>
>Apache Derby
>Charter
>Quick Start
>Derby Wiki
>License
>FAQS
>
>any changes?
>
> -jean

I have been looking at the new 'Quick Start' page on the Derby website
and want to highlight this page in the final chapter of the Working With
Derby document as the recommended 'Next Step' in finding out about
Derby.   One thing I would like to see added to the 'Basics' section of
the page is a link to the online documents set (
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html#docs_10.1) . Or possibly
duplicate the document list, whatever seems best.

The lack of a link to the documentation is the only online resource I
can think of that is not neatly presented on this page.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

default expansion isn't available, so ...

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:

> > If default expansion isn't
> > available yet, then a simple list would work, but I would recommend
> > removing the ASF and DB links to keep the list short:
> >
> >   Apache Derby
> >   Charter
> >   Quick Start
> >   ASF                 <----- remove
> >   Apache DB Project   <----- remove
> >   Derby Wiki
> >   License
> >   FAQS
> >
> > what do you think?

Seems fine to me, they're still accessible via the breadcrumbs at the
top of the page.

andrew

Re: [web] Derby site reorganization (resend)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>>http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html
>>
>>On the home page we have the "Quick Links" section but in my mind they
>>are not "quick" as I have to expand to see the list before I can click
>>on them.
>>
>>Can we just get them as a simple list, or even expanded by default?
>
> I asked forrest about expanding by default some time ago and was told we
> could do that in the "next release". I'll check the archives and see if
> that meant 0.7 (what we use now) or 0.8.

The feature was intended for 0.7, but hasn't been implemented (yet):

So, expanded by default is out for now unless we want to write our own
code to do it (and I don't).

Any comments on what I wrote below?

> If default expansion isn't
> available yet, then a simple list would work, but I would recommend
> removing the ASF and DB links to keep the list short:
>
>   Apache Derby
>   Charter
>   Quick Start
>   ASF                 <----- remove
>   Apache DB Project   <----- remove
>   Derby Wiki
>   License
>   FAQS
>
> what do you think?

> The other tab with lots of subcategories is the Resources tab. If
> default expansion isn't possible, would it be best to just list everything?

Regarding the Resources tab, listing everything would create a great
mishmash. I suggested leaving it as is with the "blocked" menu (i.e.,
you have to click to expand). An alternative might be to add more tabs.

thoughts?

thanks,

 -jean

Re: [web] Derby site reorganization (resend)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html
>
> On the home page we have the "Quick Links" section but in my mind they
> are not "quick" as I have to expand to see the list before I can click
> on them.
>
> Can we just get them as a simple list, or even expanded by default?

I asked forrest about expanding by default some time ago and was told we
could do that in the "next release". I'll check the archives and see if
that meant 0.7 (what we use now) or 0.8. If default expansion isn't
available yet, then a simple list would work, but I would recommend
removing the ASF and DB links to keep the list short:

  Apache Derby
  Charter
  Quick Start
  ASF                 <----- remove
  Apache DB Project   <----- remove
  Derby Wiki
  License
  FAQS

what do you think?

The other tab with lots of subcategories is the Resources tab. If
default expansion isn't possible, would it be best to just list everything?

thanks for the feedback,

 -jean