Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Karl Coleman <kc...@commercebenefitsgroup.com> on 2004/08/11 16:41:21 UTC

When are tags executed?

Can someone explain when tags are executed? Namely, custom tags and the <sql> tag.

The problem is we currently have a web app that has a jsp's JavaScript communicating with an applet that can query a database. It allows us to do real-time validation against database values. We know it is bad design. It's an older system and already have vowed not to use it in future projects. However, testing with XP service pack 2 is freezing the applet. So we are trying to come up with some alternatives without having to redesign and rewrite portions of existing apps. Someone came up with the idea of using the <sql> tag, but I thought that ran on the server before the response was sent to the browser, thus it wouldn't work for real-time validation. Would a custom tag work? Or are those run on the server as well?

Thanks,
Karl

Re: When are tags executed?

Posted by michael <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
The tags are used to create the response.  So, they are executed during the
creation of the response.  I hope that helps.

Re: When are tags executed?

Posted by Don Albertson <da...@pennswoods.net>.
Karl Coleman wrote:
> Can someone explain when tags are executed? Namely, custom tags and the <sql> tag.
>
> The problem is we currently have a web app that has a jsp's JavaScript communicating with an applet that can query a database. It allows us to do real-time validation against database values. We know it is bad design. It's an older system and already have vowed not to use it in future projects. However, testing with XP service pack 2 is freezing the applet. So we are trying to come up with some alternatives without having to redesign and rewrite portions of existing apps. Someone came up with the idea of using the <sql> tag, but I thought that ran on the server before the response was sent to the browser, thus it wouldn't work for real-time validation. Would a custom tag work? Or are those run on the server as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

As I understand it, a tag generates code which shows up in the generated
.java file and that generated code can call/use code which is in a .jar
file referenced by the tag library.  It all executes on the server

The generated HTML that gets sent to the browser is the only thing that
executes in the browser.

Re: When are tags executed?

Posted by michael <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
At 07:41 AM 8/11/2004, you wrote:
>The problem is we currently have a web app that has a jsp's JavaScript
>communicating with an applet that can query a database.

You have a JavaScript on an HTML page communicating with an applet that can
query a database.  That is important.  There are no client side JSP
pages.  In fact, in the bigger scheme of things, there are no JSP pages in
the working app even on the serverside, but only Servlets.  How is your
JavaScript communicating with the applet?  That sounds odd.  Maybe I am
just not thinking straight.  Can you show that code?

Michael