Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Mat Kelcey <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/30 01:55:44 UTC

Custom joins

Hello!

Considering the following two relations...

grunt> querys = load 'query' as (id:int, token:chararray);
grunt> dump querys
(11,foo)
(12,bar)
(13,frog)

and

grunt> documents = load 'document' as (id:int, text:chararray);
grunt> dump documents;
(21,foo bar frog)
(22,hello frog)

Is is possible to do a join where the query:token is not equal to but
contained in documents:text ?

eg
(11,foo,21,foo bar frog)
(12,bar,21,foo bar frog)
(13,frog,21,foo bar frog)
(13,frog,22,hello frog)

I can certainly do this in Java map/reduce (as we all had to in the
dark days days before pig) but is there a way to hack this together
with a custom udf or some other weird join backdoor (customer
partitioner for a group or something whacky) ???

It's been a long day, maybe I'm just missing some super obvious..

Cheers!
Mat

Re: Custom joins

Posted by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com>.
Join on a dummy key or CROSS, then plug the token in a udf.

Russell Jurney
twitter.com/rjurney
russell.jurney@gmail.com
datasyndrome.com

Re: Custom joins

Posted by Mat Kelcey <ma...@gmail.com>.
and i just realised this last statement makes no sense in the context
of my original contrived example (i originally asked about a join, not
a filter)
don't mind me! :)

Re: Custom joins

Posted by Mat Kelcey <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom joins

Posted by Mat Kelcey <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom joins

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Custom joins

Posted by Mat Kelcey <ma...@gmail.com>.
For the sake of discussion I actually simplified things but perhaps in a
critical way...

Query actually has 3 token fields and Document has 2 text fields and I
really require token1 to be text1, token2 to also be in text1 and token3 to
be in text2. (Damn bizarre NLP)

These additional complexities might change things...