Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Benjamin Ross <br...@Lattice-Engines.com> on 2015/08/07 18:50:27 UTC

How to run start-thrift-server in debug mode?

Hi,
I'm trying to run the hive thrift server in debug mode.  I've tried to simply pass -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=127.0.0.1:8888,server=y,suspend=n to start-thriftserver.sh as a driver option, but it doesn't seem to host a server.  I've then tried to edit the various shell scripts to run hive thrift server but couldn't get things to work.  It seems that there must be an easier way to do this.  I've also tried to run it directly in eclipse, but ran into issues related to Scala that I haven't quite yet figured out.

start-thriftserver.sh --driver-java-options "-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,address=localhost:8000,server=y,suspend=n -XX:MaxPermSize=512"  --master yarn://localhost:9000 --num-executors 2

jdb -attach localhost:8000
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
        at com.sun.tools.jdi.SocketTransportService.attach(SocketTransportService.java:222)
        at com.sun.tools.jdi.GenericAttachingConnector.attach(GenericAttachingConnector.java:116)
        at com.sun.tools.jdi.SocketAttachingConnector.attach(SocketAttachingConnector.java:90)
        at com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.VMConnection.attachTarget(VMConnection.java:519)
        at com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.VMConnection.open(VMConnection.java:328)
        at com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.Env.init(Env.java:63)
        at com.sun.tools.example.debug.tty.TTY.main(TTY.java:1066)

Let me know if I'm missing something here...
Thanks in advance,
Ben

Re: How to run start-thrift-server in debug mode?

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.
It seems, it is not able to pick up the debug parameters. You can actually
set export
_JAVA_OPTIONS="-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=y"
and then submit the job to enable debugging.

Thanks
Best Regards