Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 1999/11/26 14:41:23 UTC

Reverse proxy supporting failover

Hi all,

I am wondering if mod_proxy does this already, a simple yes or no answer
is what I'm after.

If two (or more) IP addresses are defined for a backend server served by
a reverse proxy configuration, and one of those servers is not
responding for whatever reason, will Apache automatically try the other
one after a suitable timeout?

 +--------+      +------------------------------+
 | Client | ---> | R/Proxy server               |
 +--------+      | /blah --> blah.somewhere.com -----+
                 +------------------------------+    |

                                +--------------------+--+
                                v                       v
                 +--------------------+     +--------------------+
                 | blah.somewhere.com |     | blah.somewhere.com |
                 |  192.168.0.1       |     |  192.168.0.2       |

If yes, woohoo! If no, then I'll start a-hackin'.

Just want to make sure it's a worthwhile endeavour first.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street