Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net> on 2006/04/06 23:30:16 UTC

required_hits not working?

I have the following in /etc/mail/spamassasin/local.cf
required_hits 6.9

Yet I just noticed the following that started at some point Tuesday:

It's true for all users.  I double checked fro multiple local.cf
files and the user_prefs files.   The required_hits lines are
remarked out in the individual user files.  Where else might this be
coming from?

Running SA version 3.1.1 with Sendmail 8.13.6

Thanks in advance...

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (467 of 502):
To wish to be well is a part of becoming well. --Seneca

Re: required_hits not working?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Ed Kasky" <ed...@esson.net>

> At 05:36 PM Thursday, 4/6/2006, Matt Kettler wrote -=>
>>Ed Kasky wrote:

>> > Anyway, spamc continues to use the 5.0 score after the change and restart:
>> > Apr  6 17:19:34 yoda2 spamd[10978]: spamd: clean message (-101.1/5.0)
>> >
>> > My /etc/sysconfig/spamd:
>> > OPTIONS="-d -u spamd -H /home/spamd -m 15"
>> >
>> > Last time I had a problem like this, I had multiple local.cf files.  A
>> > locate turned up only one instance in /etc/mail/spamassassin.....
>> >

>>Hmm, what are the permissions on /etc/mail/spamassassin and
>>/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?
>>
>>Any chance either or both are owner-only and not readable by the spamd user?
>
> ls -al /etc/mail/spamassassin/
> drwxr-xr-x    6 spamd    spamd        4096 Apr  6 17:14 .
> drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Apr  6 11:34 ..
> -rw-r--r--    1 spamd    spamd        8275 Apr  6 17:14
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
>
> Very weird behavior....

Out of curiosity is /home/spamd a jail? If so what is in that jail?

{^_^}

Re: required_hits not working?

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
At 05:36 PM Thursday, 4/6/2006, Matt Kettler wrote -=>
>Ed Kasky wrote:

> >> Any chance you didn't reload spamd after editing local.cf?
> >>
> >> Also, for what it's worth, required_hits is deprecated. It's still
> >> accepted, but
> >> the preferred option is required_score. At some point in the future,
> >> support for
> >> required_hits might go away, so while you're setting things up it
> >> might be worth
> >> changing to the newer syntax to avoid future headaches.
> >
> > I usually edit the local.cf via a script that reloads spamd if there are
> > any changes.  I even re-started it just this morning to see if that was
> > the case but it still kept using the 5.0 score.
> >
> > I forgot to mention before that "spamassassin -D --lint" was using the
> > 6.9 as threshold but spamc was using 5.0.  I changed the line in the cf
> > to required_score 6.9 and now a lint shows:
> > dbg: check: is spam? score=3.586 required=7
> >
> > Does it round using required_score?
>
>It should behave the same as when using required_hits.
>
>Required_hits is merely an alias for required_score, they can't
>behave differently.
>
> > Anyway, spamc continues to use the 5.0 score after the change and restart:
> > Apr  6 17:19:34 yoda2 spamd[10978]: spamd: clean message (-101.1/5.0)
> >
> > My /etc/sysconfig/spamd:
> > OPTIONS="-d -u spamd -H /home/spamd -m 15"
> >
> > Last time I had a problem like this, I had multiple local.cf files.  A
> > locate turned up only one instance in /etc/mail/spamassassin.....
> >

>Hmm, what are the permissions on /etc/mail/spamassassin and
>/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?
>
>Any chance either or both are owner-only and not readable by the spamd user?

ls -al /etc/mail/spamassassin/
drwxr-xr-x    6 spamd    spamd        4096 Apr  6 17:14 .
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Apr  6 11:34 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 spamd    spamd        8275 Apr  6 17:14
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

Very weird behavior....

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly Generated Quote (38 of 1045):
"Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their
reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform.
Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or
nothing in the world's estimation, and publicly and privately, in
season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted
ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences."
  - Susan B. Anthony

Re: required_hits not working?

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
At 05:36 PM Thursday, 4/6/2006, Matt Kettler wrote -=>
>Hmm, what are the permissions on /etc/mail/spamassassin and
>/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?
>
>Any chance either or both are owner-only and not readable by the spamd user?

I think I finally found what was causing the problem.  I had used
sa-update and it appears that the required_score line in 10_misc.cf
was over-riding local.cf.  Will placing the updated files in a
directory other than /usr/share/spamassassin or /var/lib/spamassassin
cause this behavior??

Anyway, I fixed the location of the updated cf's and it's back to the
proper threshold.

If my current default rules dir is /usr/share/spamassassin, and site
rules dir is /etc/mail/spamassassin, what should I use for --updatedir?

Ed

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly Generated Quote (672 of 1045):
Leap and the net will appear.
-- Western Proverb

Re: required_hits not working?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
> At 04:59 PM Thursday, 4/6/2006, you wrote -=>
>>Ed Kasky wrote:
>> > At 03:39 PM Thursday, 4/6/2006, you wrote -=>

>> > Sorry about that - I am running spamd and call spamc via procmail:
>> >
>> > :0fw
>> > * < 300000
>> >

>>Any chance you didn't reload spamd after editing local.cf?
>>
>>Also, for what it's worth, required_hits is deprecated. It's still
>>accepted, but
>>the preferred option is required_score. At some point in the future,
>>support for
>>required_hits might go away, so while you're setting things up it
>>might be worth
>>changing to the newer syntax to avoid future headaches.
>
> I usually edit the local.cf via a script that reloads spamd if there
> are any changes.  I even re-started it just this morning to see if
> that was the case but it still kept using the 5.0 score.
>
> I forgot to mention before that "spamassassin -D --lint" was using
> the 6.9 as threshold but spamc was using 5.0.  I changed the line in
> the cf to required_score 6.9 and now a lint shows:
> dbg: check: is spam? score=3.586 required=7
>
> Does it round using required_score?
>
> Anyway, spamc continues to use the 5.0 score after the change and restart:
> Apr  6 17:19:34 yoda2 spamd[10978]: spamd: clean message (-101.1/5.0)
>
> My /etc/sysconfig/spamd:
> OPTIONS="-d -u spamd -H /home/spamd -m 15"
>
> Last time I had a problem like this, I had multiple local.cf
> files.  A locate turned up only one instance in /etc/mail/spamassassin.....

Per user rules with default required_score in the user_prefs files?
{^_^}

Re: required_hits not working?

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
At 04:59 PM Thursday, 4/6/2006, you wrote -=>
>Ed Kasky wrote:

> >> What mechanism are you using to connect sendmail to SA? Procmail or
> >> amavisd-new or a milter like spamass-milter or MIMEDefang or
> >> something else?
> >>
> >> Some of those mechanisms load an instance of SA into their own Perl
> >> engine (EG amavisd-new) and have their own seperate config files.
> >>
> >> So we need more information to answer your question.
> >
> > Sorry about that - I am running spamd and call spamc via procmail:
> >
> > :0fw
> > * < 300000
> > | spamc -f -u spamd
> >

>Any chance you didn't reload spamd after editing local.cf?
>
>Also, for what it's worth, required_hits is deprecated. It's still
>accepted, but
>the preferred option is required_score. At some point in the future,
>support for
>required_hits might go away, so while you're setting things up it
>might be worth
>changing to the newer syntax to avoid future headaches.

I usually edit the local.cf via a script that reloads spamd if there
are any changes.  I even re-started it just this morning to see if
that was the case but it still kept using the 5.0 score.

I forgot to mention before that "spamassassin -D --lint" was using
the 6.9 as threshold but spamc was using 5.0.  I changed the line in
the cf to required_score 6.9 and now a lint shows:
dbg: check: is spam? score=3.586 required=7

Does it round using required_score?

Anyway, spamc continues to use the 5.0 score after the change and restart:
Apr  6 17:19:34 yoda2 spamd[10978]: spamd: clean message (-101.1/5.0)

My /etc/sysconfig/spamd:
OPTIONS="-d -u spamd -H /home/spamd -m 15"

Last time I had a problem like this, I had multiple local.cf
files.  A locate turned up only one instance in /etc/mail/spamassassin.....

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (36 of 502):
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by
  age eighteen." -- Albert Einstein

Re: required_hits not working?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
At 03:39 PM Thursday, 4/6/2006, you wrote -=>
>On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Ed Kasky wrote:
>
> > I have the following in /etc/mail/spamassasin/local.cf
> > required_hits 6.9
> >
> > Yet I just noticed the following that started at some point Tuesday:
> >
> > Content analysis details:   (18.3 points, 5.0 required)
> >
> > It's true for all users.  I double checked fro multiple local.cf
> > files and the user_prefs files.   The required_hits lines are
> > remarked out in the individual user files.  Where else might this be
> > coming from?
> >
> > Running SA version 3.1.1 with Sendmail 8.13.6
>
>What mechanism are you using to connect sendmail to SA? Procmail or
>amavisd-new or a milter like spamass-milter or MIMEDefang or
>something else?
>
>Some of those mechanisms load an instance of SA into their own Perl
>engine (EG amavisd-new) and have their own seperate config files.
>
>So we need more information to answer your question.

Sorry about that - I am running spamd and call spamc via procmail:

:0fw
* < 300000
| spamc -f -u spamd

Thanks...

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (12 of 502):
"Actions speak louder than words."   --Theodore Roosevelt

Re: required_hits not working?

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Ed Kasky wrote:

> I have the following in /etc/mail/spamassasin/local.cf
> required_hits 6.9
>
> Yet I just noticed the following that started at some point Tuesday:
>
> Content analysis details:   (18.3 points, 5.0 required)
>
> It's true for all users.  I double checked fro multiple local.cf
> files and the user_prefs files.   The required_hits lines are
> remarked out in the individual user files.  Where else might this be
> coming from?
>
> Running SA version 3.1.1 with Sendmail 8.13.6

What mechanism are you using to connect sendmail to SA? Procmail or
amavisd-new or a milter like spamass-milter or MIMEDefang or
something else?

Some of those mechanisms load an instance of SA into their own Perl
engine (EG amavisd-new) and have their own seperate config files.

So we need more information to answer your question.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>