Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Ma...@iroise.net on 2002/05/15 15:15:43 UTC

local worker patch for JK1

Hi,

there is  something that bothers me  in the patch Bernd  sent, that is
the local_worker  property of  workers, I think  the concept  of local
worker is linked  with that of load balancing worker,  and not to that
of worker.  Nothing forbids  to have an  ajp13 worker in  several load
balancing workers, if the local worker property is linked to the ajp13
worker, the worker  will be considered local for  every load balancing
worker it appears in which is something I think should be avoided.

Mathias.

--
--  Credit Mutuel de Bretagne  --  DST / Reseaux et Systemes Distribues
--  32 rue Mirabeau -- Le Relecq-Kerhuon -- 29808 Brest Cedex 9, FRANCE

--
Ce message et  toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres  le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.

Re: local worker patch for JK1

Posted by Bernd Koecke <bk...@schlund.de>.
Mathias.Herberts@iroise.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is  something that bothers me  in the patch Bernd  sent, that is
> the local_worker  property of  workers, I think  the concept  of local
> worker is linked  with that of load balancing worker,  and not to that
> of worker.  Nothing forbids  to have an  ajp13 worker in  several load
> balancing workers, if the local worker property is linked to the ajp13
> worker, the worker  will be considered local for  every load balancing
> worker it appears in which is something I think should be avoided.
>
> Mathias.

Sorry, but I asked for, how to handle this flag yesterday and I got no response.
Costin said, that he'll wait for my patch, and I don't want to let him wait for
days.

If we add a list to the lb_worker, how should this be handled? Lets say it is
called 'local_workers'. Should the local workers be in the list of balanced
workers too? If yes, I think this makes the config look a little bit unclean. If
not, we have to change the validate function more than I want to, because it
depends on having balanced workers. And with a second list it is possible to
have only local workers.

By the way, with the same motivation we should ask about the lb_value. It is not
possible to have one worker with different values in different lb_workers. But
it may be that one worker is the most powerful in one group (lb_worker) and less
powerful in another. Ok normaly the lb_values should be choosen in order to the
power of all workers and not because of one group. :)

I build the patch for the described simple situation. When I understand jk2
right, this would be the right choice for a more complex environment.

Which way should be implemented? We should find one position and implement it
then. May be I was a little bit to fast this time :).

Bernd
--
Dipl.-Inform. Bernd Koecke
UNIX-Entwicklung

Re: local worker patch for JK1

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Wed, 15 May 2002 Mathias.Herberts@iroise.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there is  something that bothers me  in the patch Bernd  sent, that is
> the local_worker  property of  workers, I think  the concept  of local
> worker is linked  with that of load balancing worker,  and not to that
> of worker.  Nothing forbids  to have an  ajp13 worker in  several load
> balancing workers, if the local worker property is linked to the ajp13
> worker, the worker  will be considered local for  every load balancing
> worker it appears in which is something I think should be avoided.

I agree, but this is too complicated. If anyone really need this
feature ( or different lb factors on different load balancers ) we can
add more settings.

Most people use a single lb, and things are already complex if you
have multiple lbs. Let's leave this for jk2.x.

Costin