Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/21 08:06:38 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.2 (vote candidate 2)

Dear community,

This is our second voting candidate for the 12.2 release of Apache
NetBeans. It is built off the same commit as 12.2-rc3. Please note
all requirements below for validating sources and convenience binaries
before voting.

Apache NetBeans 12.2 constitutes all clusters in the Apache NetBeans
Git repository, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the
underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that
provide the Java SE, Java EE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of
Apache NetBeans.

Build artifacts are available here :
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.2/vc2
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/12.2/vc2

They were built by the Jenkins pipeline and moved to their place :
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-TLP/job/netbeans/job/release122/20/

We are primarily voting on :
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/12.2/vc2/netbeans-12.2-source.zip

SHA512 :
84e7584689e0993ee60e9af8ccad2ba247bad8562ab742bf24d19ab56f29ac131943ab54fcf850588e04a00bdd9fea40909e1b91f47c8f545f89cae29144af8e

KEYS file :
https://downloads.apache.org/netbeans/KEYS

--

Associated to the primary source item you will have (generated with
pipeline mentioned above)

* under
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-platform/12.2/vc2
you will find platform cluster build
netbeans-platform-12.2-bin.zip
netbeans-platform-12.2-source.zip

--

Release specific wiki page :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+12.2

--

Voting requirements

Before voting +1 you are required to download the signed source code
package, compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on
your own platform, along with also verifying that the package meets
the requirements of the ASF policy on releases - see
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#management

In particular, you should (at least) follow these steps.

1. Download the artefact to be voted on and unzip it.

2. Check that the artefact does not contain any jar files, except for:
     - platform/autoupdate.services/test/unit/src/org/netbeans/api/autoupdate/data/empty.jar
     - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
     - enterprise/glassfish.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
     - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/nottaDir-4_1_2.jar
     - enterprise/payara.common/test/unit/data/subdir/nottaDir-5.0.jar
     which are only jars by their name

3. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file

4. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.

5. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by
the build process and try running it.

In addition to checking the sources, you should check the associated
convenience binary zips and nbms at the artifact links above.
As well as checking any artifact functions correctly, you should check
that it has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source
being voted on is sufficient to build the relevant binary.

Separate votes will be held on other convenience binaries, including
installers and Maven artifacts. Those will be dependent on this vote
passing.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
-1 as usual. (please justify -1)

Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC
member to help with voting admin.

NetBeans 12.2 will be released if and when this vote passes.

Thank you to all contributors for all your hard work!

Best wishes,

Laszlo Kishalmi
Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 12.2

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 12.2 (vote candidate 2)

Posted by Ludovic HOCHET <lh...@gmail.com>.
+1

built with openjdk 11.0.9.1 2020-11-04
runtime:
Product Version: Apache NetBeans IDE 12.2
Java: 15.0.1; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 15.0.1+9-18
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 15.0.1+9-18
System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; fr_FR (nb)

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 at 09:06, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> As well as checking any artifact functions correctly, you should check
> that it has been correctly signed by a PMC member, and that the source
> being voted on is sufficient to build the relevant binary.
>
> Separate votes will be held on other convenience binaries, including
> installers and Maven artifacts. Those will be dependent on this vote
> passing.
>
> This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and
> -1 as usual. (please justify -1)
>
> Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC
> member to help with voting admin.
>
> NetBeans 12.2 will be released if and when this vote passes.
>
> Thank you to all contributors for all your hard work!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Laszlo Kishalmi
> Release Manager for Apache NetBeans 12.2

Ludovic

"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu
 si leur pensees s'unissent pour batir un univers..."
 Yoko Tsuno (in 'Les titans' by Roger Leloup)
 [The shapes that differenciate beings are not important
 if their thoughts unite to build a universe]

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Waiting for parent project voting passes was and is the intention and
prerequisite for this voting and for closing it.
Martin

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 20:01 John Mc, <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> -1
>
> Votes on convenience binaries should surely wait to see if the parent
> project vote passes imo.

We often have voting in parallel, just this, like others, would be
dependent on the main vote passing.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hi,
I'm sorry, still learning how to release complimentary binaries for
NetBeans.
Next time I'll do it better.

Martin

Re: Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 at 09:22, Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 24. listopadu 2020 8:53:19 SEČ, John Mc <mc...@gmail.com> napsal:
> >My main concern here and the reason for my -1 is that there seems to be
> >push for a convince binary without knowing if the main vote passes. If
> >it
> >doesn't then it's a waste of time and effort.
>
> I don't see that huge problem in running votes in parallel. The obvious advantages are that there is less time wasted waiting for votes, and that if a problem is found during a convenience binary vote, it can advise the main vote.

+1 See also multiple discussions we already had on this during 11.2,
prior to which we hadn't really voted on binaries at all.  eg.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/52cb91e35bb268e32c353cafef917f9e8bf304e420e3ff08ababe707%40%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
 The intention then was always to have parallel voting wherever
possible, the discussion was more about whether to have one thread or
multiple.

The only reason we didn't have parallel votes for installers for 12.1
was delay caused by macOS issues (again!) which John sorted, and
problems I had with accessing ASF signing via new computer for the
Windows installer.  Those sort of things happen, but are not a good
reason in my opinion to make it a "NetBeans project habit", hence my
first reply! :-)

> >Im also struggling with why this new sub project seems to be pushing
> >forward and not liasing with the NetBeans RM for this release. Why are
> >they
> >pushing a separate timetable?  Surely the creation of a timetable for
>
> Not sure if there is a separate timetable - the source release will be done first, and then the other/secondary convenience binaries, including this one. So it seems like a single timetable?

+1, although agree with John that it sounds like this might have been
better coordinated with Laszlo as RM.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

My personal opinion only:

24. listopadu 2020 8:53:19 SEČ, John Mc <mc...@gmail.com> napsal:
>Hi Laszlo,
>
>It will probably be at the weekend when I can do the Mac installer. But
>yeah I've no problem doing it.
>
>My main concern here and the reason for my -1 is that there seems to be
>push for a convince binary without knowing if the main vote passes. If
>it
>doesn't then it's a waste of time and effort.

I don't see that huge problem in running votes in parallel. The obvious advantages are that there is less time wasted waiting for votes, and that if a problem is found during a convenience binary vote, it can advise the main vote.

>Im also struggling with why this new sub project seems to be pushing
>forward and not liasing with the NetBeans RM for this release. Why are
>they
>pushing a separate timetable?  Surely the creation of a timetable for

Not sure if there is a separate timetable - the source release will be done first, and then the other/secondary convenience binaries, including this one. So it seems like a single timetable?

Jan

>it's
>release should come from the NetBeans RM? Granted someone in the
>community
>might do the last few steps but ultimately it's a NetBeans release...
>

>Regards
>
>John
>
>On Mon 23 Nov 2020, 21:49 Laszlo Kishalmi, <la...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Well, I plan to close the VOTING round for 12.2 source Tomorrow
>morning
>> PST (That would be Tomorrow late afternoon in Europe). After that is
>out
>> I'd start a round for the Window and Linux binaries, also I'd ask
>John
>> to prepare the Mac binary. That would be the right time to start the
>VS
>> Code binary round, probably by then it won't be necessary to refer as
>> rc3 or voting candidate 2, as NetBeans 12.2 shall be considered as
>> released.
>>
>> Once the parallel votes have been collected, assuming that we could
>> prepare the website, the announcements can go out on the weekend.

>> > The best time to object was on Thursday when I described the plan
>> vote in
>> > parallel:
>> >
>> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/
>> > r2c456e2ae9cde981e2027c9ac65ec9e624405d7b052a13e4256f2f6f%40%
>> 3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

>> things up.
>is
>> > It is my understanding that finishing source vote and only then
>starting
>> vote
>> > on complementary binaries is not Apache policy, just a NetBeans
>project
>> habit.

>parent
>> > We are certainly not going to finish the VSNetBeans vote sooner
>than
>> parent one

>Marketplace
>> completes.
>> > Of course, few more `-1` like the one by John...

>> > ...and the VSNetBeans vote is over before the parent vote finishes.
>> > -jt

>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Mailing+lists

Odesláno aplikací K-9 Mail ze systému Android. Omluvte prosím moji stručnost.

Re: Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,

It will probably be at the weekend when I can do the Mac installer. But
yeah I've no problem doing it.

My main concern here and the reason for my -1 is that there seems to be a
push for a convince binary without knowing if the main vote passes. If it
doesn't then it's a waste of time and effort.

Im also struggling with why this new sub project seems to be pushing
forward and not liasing with the NetBeans RM for this release. Why are they
pushing a separate timetable?  Surely the creation of a timetable for it's

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 21:01 Jaroslav Tulach, <ja...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is my understanding that finishing source vote and only then starting
> vote
> on complementary binaries is not Apache policy, just a NetBeans project
> habit.

Not always, or by design - concurrency is hard! ;-)

Neil

Voting in parallel was: Release Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode extension for 12.2

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- .asc and sha checked.
- binary installed
- a Maven project can be opened
- code completion works

Posted by Christian Oyarzun <co...@oyarzun.net>.
+1 (binding)

* SHA512 of source zip checked
* built from the sources
* created, built, ran Java Maven application.

macOS 10.15.7
built and tested with 1.8.0_265; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 25.265-b01
tested with  11.0.9.1; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 11.0.9.1+12-LTS

Posted by Boris Heithecker <bo...@gmx.net>.
+1

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I'm going to close this voting and tally the results now.

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
+1
tested the binaries on Ubuntu 20.04.
Martin

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
+1

Product Version: Apache NetBeans IDE 12.2
Java: 15; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 15+36
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 15+36
System: Windows 10 Pro version 2004 64Bit; UTF-8; en_US

Kai

Posted by Jeffrey Morlan <je...@everlaw.com>.
Noticed a regression from 12.1: the new Java 15 nb-javac fails to parse
code using "permits" as an identifier (not uncommon in code related to
semaphores, for example). Reported as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5055

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- Verified signature, NOTICE and LICENSE file
- Built and ran without issues using Zulu-11 JDK on OS X 10.14.6:

Product Version: Apache NetBeans IDE 12.2
Java: 11.0.5; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 11.0.5+10-LTS
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 11.0.5+10-LTS
System: Mac OS X version 10.14.6 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau <https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866>

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hello,
Proper build artifacts of Apache NetBeans Language Server VSCode
extension are here:

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Dear community,

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans-vscode-ext, it

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

* SHA512 of source zip checked
* verified netbeans-12.2-source.zip.asc signature
* LICENSE, NOTICE files present and contains expected content
* built from the sources
* the product contains LICENSE, NOTICE
* opened [java] project, built run, edited source
* verified netbeans-12.2-bin.zip.asc signature
* verified the LICENSE, NOTICE, DEPENDENCIES in the build product
matches the netbeans-12.2-bin.zip contents
* verified nbm signatures

* downloaded netbeans-platform*
* sha512 checked for -bin and -source
* signatures verified for -bin and -source
* LICENSE, NOTICE, DEPENDENCIES present and look sane in both -bin and
-source
* built from sources
* LICENSE, NOTICE, DEPENDENCIES in the build product match the ones in
-bin.zip

Tested on kubuntu Linux 19.04 / x86_64, compiled and run using JDK
1.8.0_241-b07

-Svata

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- sha512 is OK
- `.asc` file is OK
- NOTICE and LICENSE seem OK
- builds and runs on BigSur
- `find . -not -type dir | grep jar$` seems to be fine
- convenience binary downloads and runs on Linux

In addition to the above I've successfully built
```
$ ant -f java/java.lsp.server build-vscode-ext
```
and executed it in VS Code running on Mac OS X Big Sur.

Let's get the VC2 out as 12.2 release!
-jt

Posted by Tomáš Procházka <ka...@razdva.cz>.
+1

- verified sha512 and asc signatures for sources and convenience binaries
- verified LICENSE and NOTICE
- sources don't contain any other .jar files than mentioned
- built on Ubuntu 20.10 with JDK 1.8.0_275

Tested both built NetBeans and convenience binaries
- opened PHP project - navigation, CC, code analysis works
- opened NetBeans sources - navigation and CC works

Thank you all.

Tomáš Procházka

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- Checked jar files
- Verified the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
- BUILD SUCCESSFUL (openjdk version "1.8.0_275")
- Tried creating a PHP project and running CC. Works fine.

Thanks,
Junichi

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.
Dear community,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Checked files and sigs, built with JDK 8 on Ubuntu 20.04, tested with
Adopt JDK 14.

Product Version: Apache NetBeans IDE 12.2
Java: 14.0.2; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 14.0.2+12
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 14.0.2+12
System: Linux version 5.4.0-54-generic running on amd64; UTF-8; en_GB (nb)

Thanks Laszlo!

Best wishes,

Neil

Posted by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com>.