Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/02 16:37:59 UTC

ODBC - NullPointerException when loading data

Hi,

Using Apache Hive 1.2.1, I get a NullPointerExcetion when performing a
request through an ODBC driver.

The request is just a simple LOAD DATA request:
LOAD DATA INPATH '/tmp/AYX170201a327cc8faf8e562f5eb86225dd1fbf57' INTO
TABLE tmp.testpierre

Logs can be found here:
https://gist.github.com/pvillard31/9a08650f9a80ef0fa7e161d71c0d9e9b

The data is correctly loaded but it seems that the error happens when the
statistics are computed on the table. Any help on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
Pierre

Re: ODBC - NullPointerException when loading data

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gopal,

Thanks, I created HIVE-15814.

Pierre

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.
> Using Apache Hive 1.2.1, I get a NullPointerExcetion when performing a request through an ODBC driver.
> The request is just a simple LOAD DATA request:

Looks like the NPE is coming from the getResultMetaData() call, which returns the schema of the rows returned.

LOAD is probably one of the few calls which have no schema for its result returns.

> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

File a JIRA (with odbc driver version + exact version of Hive), because looks like the JDBC drivers don’t trigger this codepath - specifically.

        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.CLIService.getResultSetMetadata(CLIService.java:435)
        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.ThriftCLIService.GetResultSetMetadata(ThriftCLIService.java:658)
        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Processor$GetResultSetMetadata.getResult(TCLIService.java:1537)
        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Processor$GetResultSetMetadata.getResult(TCLIService.java:1522

for a LOAD DATA return path.

Cheers,
Gopal