Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2019/11/13 17:34:23 UTC

Do we want to pursue an LTS designation?

We've had somebody on the Solr mailing list asking questions about our
LTS version.

The thing about this is that we don't really HAVE an LTS version.  Our
major version release pace and the way we deal with older branches mean
that a single major version branch is never in a given state for long
enough to really qualify as "long term".

The 7.x branch is in maintenance mode, so most problems that people
encounter with it will only be addressed in a future 8.x version.  In my
mind, that means it doesn't qualify as LTS.  The current stable branch
is always getting new features, which I think disqualifies that branch
for the LTS label.

The tomcat project has an interesting way of determining when support
ends.  Here's a message outlining it:

https://markmail.org/message/6wycxatwzwycmf43

My question is:  Do we want to change what we do here, or are we happy
with the current model?  If we did change it, I'm not completely sure
what that would look like.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Do we want to pursue an LTS designation?

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Well sometimes even reindexing might not always be avoidable when upgrading. However, there should be a more user friendly way. Not every Solr deployment that one might inherit has foreseen this. Eg in case Solr is used as a NoSQL database where the application puts data in Solr, but not outside Solr for the case of reindexing. In those case it would be useful that Solr can (configurable) write the original SolrInputDocument somewhere and this original document can then be user for reindexing in case of major updates.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
I just removed LTS wording from the Solr download page.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Bram:

Andrzej Bailecki and I worked on something similar, it might be good to compare notes. I gave a talk last Activate that might be useful for you to look at for ideas.

Basically there are several issues we worked out:
1> how to insure that all segments were rewritten
2> If the schema is changing, how to update the collections one at a time even with shared configsets
3> the nuts-and-bolts of the rewriting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaQBH_H3d3g

Best,
Erick

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.

Posted by Andrzej Białecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
I agree with the removal of LTS designation - there’s no formal commitment from the community to support this or that release for that long.

Even though in practice bug fixes are often backported to older branches that are still widely used, there’s no actual contract to do so, and implying there is one is misleading.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
The term LTS is used loosely and we actually do not promise anything. What we say is

> 7.7.x	Version in the previous major release for bugfixes only (LTS)

In practice 7.7.x will now only get critical security related releases and not ordinary bugfixes, unless someone volunteers to RM such a release.
8.x.x will likely get more bugfix releases after release of 9.0 since there is a Java upgrade requirement.

This is probably a good time to challenge one of you to go clone our new website repo at https://github.com/apache/lucene-site <https://github.com/apache/lucene-site>, make a change, build the site locally and submit a PR :) It is actually quite pleasant!

Posted by Adam Walz <ad...@adamwalz.net>.

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have zero interest in having an LTS “policy” that requires any further
> commitment of my personal time to random people who ask for it but aren’t
> willing to pay. I consider my non-paid work to Solr a _volunteer_ activity,
> not something anyone has a right to demand as “support”, long-term or
> otherwise.
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> > On Nov 13, 2019, at 12:34 PM, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> >
> > We've had somebody on the Solr mailing list asking questions about our
> LTS version.
> >
> > The thing about this is that we don't really HAVE an LTS version.  Our
> major version release pace and the way we deal with older branches mean
> that a single major version branch is never in a given state for long
> enough to really qualify as "long term".
> >
> > The 7.x branch is in maintenance mode, so most problems that people
> encounter with it will only be addressed in a future 8.x version.  In my
> mind, that means it doesn't qualify as LTS.  The current stable branch is
> always getting new features, which I think disqualifies that branch for the
> LTS label.
> >
> > The tomcat project has an interesting way of determining when support
> ends.  Here's a message outlining it:
> >
> > https://markmail.org/message/6wycxatwzwycmf43
> >
> > My question is:  Do we want to change what we do here, or are we happy
> with the current model?  If we did change it, I'm not completely sure what
> that would look like.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shawn

Adam Walz

Re: Do we want to pursue an LTS designation?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.