Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Robert B. Easter" <re...@comptechnews.com> on 2000/12/19 05:43:24 UTC

sdk 1.3.0 fcs and netscape plugin problem

This is off topic here, but maybe some knowledgable java coders in here can
help me...

I've install Netscape 4.76 to /usr/local/netscape (fresh install) and the
Blackdown SDK 1.3.0 FCS to /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0

The instructions for installing the Netscape plugin that comes with sdk1.3.0
says you just make a symlink like this:

cd /usr/local/netscape/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0/jre/plugin/i386/javaplugin.so javaplugin.so

I did that and it doesn't work.  When I run Netscape like this:

cd /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.0/jre
netscape JavaPluginControlPanel.html &

... I get a popup message in Netscape that it can't load libjvm.so:

java_vm: error in loading shared libraries: libjvm.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
Plugin: Plugin is not enabled or Java VM process has died.

I don't understand this, PLEASE help me! :)

Sorry for an off-topic post.

Before I can really get into Java development with Jakarta, I feel I at least
need a working environment that includes the Netscape plugin.

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
- CompTechNews Message Board   http://www.comptechnews.com/ -

Re: sdk 1.3.0 fcs and netscape plugin problem

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
Try to put the plugin in ~/.netscape/plugins instead.

Bojan