Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2007/09/05 01:32:05 UTC

Re: Supporting Pocket PC

On Aug 29, 2007, at 10:08 PM, Woonsan Ko wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to provide separate pages and themes to Pocket PC clients.
> I remember that there have been some useful emails about supporting
> WAP clients, but I think my
> problem is somewhat different from those.
>
> Pocket PCs usually have Windows CE and IE4, with very small screen
> size (240*320).
> Also, this kind of devices are different from the *xhtml-basic*
> clients or from the *wml-generic*
> clients because they support only HTML. And so their preferred mime
> type is 'text/html', just like
> desktop browsers.
>
> My problem is like the following:
> - I'd like to make another media type, such as *html-basic* for
> Pocket PC clients.
>   I'd like to provide separate pages. For example,
> /WEB-INF/pages/_user/guest/_mediatype/html-basic.
> - However, I cannot find a solution to do that.
>   o.a.j.capabilities.impl.JetspeedCapabilities sets the preferred
> media type of the capability map
> for a client to one, associating with the mime type.
>   That is, because there's existing mime type, *text/html* and its
> associated media type, *html*,
> I cannot set another media type for Pocket PC clients.
>
> So, I got a doubt about the current media type selection for a client.
> The current selection is based on preferred mime type of a client.
> However, if two clients have a same preferred mime type (e.g. *text/
> html*), but if the two (Pocket
> PC and Desktop) should be treated differently in page or theme
> selection, what can we do?

I think we are going to have to enhance the Capability component to
consider other factors in determining the media type besides mime type
Perhaps if we went straight from agent -> media type in the media
type calculation with an optional attribute?

		<Client name="pocketpc" evalOrder="111" preferredMimeTypeID="text/
html" preferredMediaType='html-basic'>

I am not too enthusiastic about that solution as it requires
additional model changes to support the optional preferredMediaType
but Im really not coming up with a better solution
Propose that we review this implementation and consider reworking it
for the 2.2 release as its not even clear to me why we have to go
from client -> mimetype -> mediatype
That was leftover from J1 and I just modeled it the same way
For the 2.1.3 release, I don't want to make any schema changes
Do you need this for the 2.1.3 release? If yes, I propose finding a
way to represent this relationship in the existing model

Re: Supporting Pocket PC

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi David,

Thank you so much. Your comments gave me a clue.

> I am not too enthusiastic about that solution as it requires
> additional model changes to support the optional preferredMediaType
> but Im really not coming up with a better solution
> Propose that we review this implementation and consider reworking it
> for the 2.2 release as its not even clear to me why we have to go
> from client -> mimetype -> mediatype
> That was leftover from J1 and I just modeled it the same way
> For the 2.1.3 release, I don't want to make any schema changes

Yeah, I agree with you. It's not a good idea to change the data model for the 2.1.3 release. It
would be better to review more and consider reworking it for the 2.2 release.

> Do you need this for the 2.1.3 release? If yes, I propose finding a
> way to represent this relationship in the existing model

Yes, I need this for the 2.1.3 release to present some wireless-support features to my customers.
So, I'm considering to do the following things:
 - I'll create a valve named 'capabilityCustomizerValve', which would change the preferred
mediaType of the capabilityMap and the requestContext just after the capabilityValve finished.
 - This valve will decide the mediaType based on the given client-to-mediaType mappings as a
constructor argument. For example, "ie4ppc (client name) to html-basic (media type name)".
 - I'll add some seed data for Pocket IE. (mediaType and client)

Without data model changes, some configurations need to be added (e.g. client-to-mediaType
mappings), I think.
If my patch gets to be feasible, I'll let you know.

Thank you again!

Regards,

Woonsan