Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by colinc <co...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2019/08/15 13:16:26 UTC

Memory usage metric doesn't come down when memory is freed up

I am using the Ignite metrics API to monitor memory usage levels in an
attempt to avoid OOM conditions.

I have found that the metrics API appears to provide reasonably accurate
figures as entries are being written to the cache - but usage levels do not
come down again when entries are removed. I have tried removing all entries,
individual entries and even destroying the cache. I have also tried waiting
for a significant period of time.

Even when the cache is destroyed, the memory usage figure does not appear to
drop. In fact, removing entries can even cause an increase in the figure.
Despite the metrics, it is possible to insert new entries following removal
of the old ones - indicating that space is in fact available.

A reproducer is below and produces results like:

Out of memory: CachePartialUpdateException after 89MB
Memory used: 99.39624%
Memory used: 99.41027%
Memory used: 99.41406%

package mytest;

import org.apache.ignite.DataRegionMetrics;
import org.apache.ignite.Ignite;
import org.apache.ignite.IgniteCache;
import org.apache.ignite.Ignition;
import org.apache.ignite.configuration.DataRegionConfiguration;
import org.apache.ignite.configuration.DataStorageConfiguration;
import org.apache.ignite.configuration.IgniteConfiguration;
import org.apache.ignite.failure.NoOpFailureHandler;
import org.junit.Test;

import javax.cache.CacheException;

public class MemoryTest {

    private static final String CACHE_NAME = "cache";
    private static final String DEFAULT_MEMORY_REGION = "Default_Region";
    private static final long MEM_SIZE = 100L * 1024 * 1024;

    @Test
    public void testOOM() throws InterruptedException {
        try (Ignite ignite = startIgnite("IgniteMemoryMonitorTest1")) {
            fillDataRegion(ignite);
            IgniteCache<Object, Object> cache =
                    ignite.getOrCreateCache(CACHE_NAME);

            // Clear all entries from the cache to free up memory
            memUsed(ignite);
            cache.clear();      // Fails here
            cache.put("Key", "Value");
            memUsed(ignite);

            cache.destroy();
            Thread.sleep(5000);
            memUsed(ignite);
        }
    }

    private Ignite startIgnite(String instanceName) {
        IgniteConfiguration cfg = new IgniteConfiguration();
        cfg.setIgniteInstanceName(instanceName);
        cfg.setDataStorageConfiguration(createDataStorageConfiguration());
        cfg.setFailureHandler(new NoOpFailureHandler());
        return Ignition.start(cfg);
    }

    private DataStorageConfiguration createDataStorageConfiguration() {
        return new DataStorageConfiguration()
                .setDefaultDataRegionConfiguration(
                        new DataRegionConfiguration()
                                .setName(DEFAULT_MEMORY_REGION)
                                .setInitialSize(MEM_SIZE)
                                .setMaxSize(MEM_SIZE)
                                .setMetricsEnabled(true));
    }

    private void fillDataRegion(Ignite ignite) {
        byte[] megabyte = new byte[1024 * 1024];

        int storedDataMB = 0;
        try {
            IgniteCache<Object, Object> cache =
                    ignite.getOrCreateCache(CACHE_NAME);
            for (int i = 0; i < 200; i++) {
                cache.put(i, megabyte);
                storedDataMB++;

                memUsed(ignite);
            }
        } catch (CacheException e) {
            System.out.println("Out of memory: " +
e.getClass().getSimpleName() + " after " + storedDataMB + "MB");
        }
    }

    private void memUsed(Ignite ignite) {
        DataRegionConfiguration defaultDataRegionCfg =
ignite.configuration()
                .getDataStorageConfiguration()
                .getDefaultDataRegionConfiguration();
        String regionName = defaultDataRegionCfg.getName();
        DataRegionMetrics metrics = ignite.dataRegionMetrics(regionName);
        float usedMem = metrics.getPagesFillFactor() *
metrics.getTotalAllocatedPages() * metrics.getPageSize();
        float pctUsed = 100 * usedMem / defaultDataRegionCfg.getMaxSize();
        System.out.println("Memory used: " + pctUsed + "%");
    }
}

Re: Memory usage metric doesn't come down when memory is freed up

Posted by colinc <co...@yahoo.co.uk>.
BTW, I'm running on Ignite 2.75. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Colin.

Re: Memory usage metric doesn't come down when memory is freed up

Posted by colinc <co...@yahoo.co.uk>.
An update on this - the test works as expected on Ignite versions 2.6 and
earlier. It appears to be a bug introduced in Ignite 2.7. I have raised the
following jira ticket to track:

Re: Memory usage metric doesn't come down when memory is freed up

Posted by colinc <co...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Yes - avoiding an Ignite out of memory condition is exactly what I'm trying
to do. The question is - how can I do this if memory metrics aren't
reliable?

Does anyone have experience of successfully monitoring contracting Ignite
memory consumption? Or does anyone have any more general thoughts on how to
avoid IOOM other than using native persistence?

To be clear, the problem with the metrics is not caused by the IOOM
condition. See the amended example below:

package mytest;

import org.apache.ignite.DataRegionMetrics;
import org.apache.ignite.Ignite;
import org.apache.ignite.IgniteCache;
import org.apache.ignite.Ignition;
import org.apache.ignite.configuration.CacheConfiguration;
import org.apache.ignite.configuration.DataRegionConfiguration;
import org.apache.ignite.configuration.DataStorageConfiguration;
import org.apache.ignite.configuration.IgniteConfiguration;
import org.apache.ignite.failure.NoOpFailureHandler;
import org.junit.Test;

public class MemoryTest2 {

    private static final String CACHE_NAME = "cache";
    private static final String DEFAULT_MEMORY_REGION = "Default_Region";
    private static final long MEM_SIZE = 100L * 1024 * 1024;

    @Test
    public void testOOM() throws InterruptedException {
        try (Ignite ignite = startIgnite("IgniteMemoryMonitorTest1")) {
            fillDataRegion(ignite);
            CacheConfiguration<Object, Object> cfg = new
CacheConfiguration<>(CACHE_NAME);
            cfg.setStatisticsEnabled(true);
            IgniteCache<Object, Object> cache =
ignite.getOrCreateCache(cfg);

            // Clear all entries from the cache to free up memory
            memUsed(ignite);
            cache.clear();
            cache.removeAll();
            cache.put("Key", "Value");
            memUsed(ignite);
            cache.destroy();
            Thread.sleep(5000);

            // Should now report close to 0% but reports 59% still
            memUsed(ignite);
        }
    }

    private Ignite startIgnite(String instanceName) {
        IgniteConfiguration cfg = new IgniteConfiguration();
        cfg.setIgniteInstanceName(instanceName);
        cfg.setDataStorageConfiguration(createDataStorageConfiguration());
        cfg.setFailureHandler(new NoOpFailureHandler());
        return Ignition.start(cfg);
    }

    private DataStorageConfiguration createDataStorageConfiguration() {
        return new DataStorageConfiguration()
                .setDefaultDataRegionConfiguration(
                        new DataRegionConfiguration()
                                .setName(DEFAULT_MEMORY_REGION)
                                .setInitialSize(MEM_SIZE)
                                .setMaxSize(MEM_SIZE)
                                .setMetricsEnabled(true));
    }

    private void fillDataRegion(Ignite ignite) {
        byte[] megabyte = new byte[1024 * 1024];
            IgniteCache<Object, Object> cache =
                    ignite.getOrCreateCache(CACHE_NAME);
            for (int i = 0; i < 50; i++) {
                cache.put(i, megabyte);
                memUsed(ignite);
            }
    }

Posted by colinc <co...@yahoo.co.uk>.
@Ilya KasnacheevReply - in reference to your comment about the IOOM condition
- is there any acceptable way to stop a full cache from killing the node
that it lives on? Or is this always recommended against? A custom data
region, perhaps?

Re: Memory usage metric doesn't come down when memory is freed up

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@apache.org>.
Hello!

When you get IgniteOOM, your node is now in incorrect state where behavior is undefined. You should plan carefully to avoid getting IOOM on nodes, or enable persistence/page eviction.

Regards,