Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/08/07 01:07:09 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Hi,

I would like to request the beginning of the vote for the first release
Apache Bloodhound in the incubator following the successful vote by the
Bloodhound PPMC. Two of the four +1 PPMC votes were from the IPMC
members Greg Stein and Hyrum Wright.

The result of the vote is summarised here:

    http://markmail.org/message/i3g5t2m7gajuoyv6

The artefacts for the release including the source distribution and KEYS
can be found here:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/bloodhound/

The release itself is created from:

    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/branches/0.1
    (r1362530)

Issues identified by Greg and Hyrum to be fixed for the next release are
listed here:

    https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/153

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours and therefore ends after
11pm UTC on Thursday 9th August.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0
[ ] +0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)

Cheers,
     Gary

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

 [ X] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0

Gav...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2012 7:07 PM, "Gary Martin" <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours and therefore ends after 11pm
> UTC on Thursday 9th August.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0
>> [ ] +0 Don't care
>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)
>
> Repeating my prior IPMC binding vote:
>
> +1 to release

Same.  +1 (binding)

-Hyrum

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2012 7:07 PM, "Gary Martin" <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours and therefore ends after 11pm
> UTC on Thursday 9th August.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0
>> [ ] +0 Don't care
>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)
>
> Repeating my prior IPMC binding vote:
>
> +1 to release

Same.  +1 (binding)

-Hyrum

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Finalising release Was: Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 08/10/2012 12:33 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> Just move the files. No rename. Don't over think it. You've seen the votes.
> Get the release completed.

Good.. that is what I thought.

> Jira is having trouble, so email infrastructure@ once you've moved the
> files.

Excellent, as you can see I just did that. I remember trying to
subscribe to that list but I have not been successful. Perhaps that is
on purpose of course.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

--
Gary Martin
gary.martin@wandisco.com

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

--
Gary Martin
gary.martin@wandisco.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi,

--
Gary Martin
gary.martin@wandisco.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi,

--
Gary Martin
gary.martin@wandisco.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@e-reka.si>.
On 07.08.2012 01:07, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to request the beginning of the vote for the first
> release Apache Bloodhound in the incubator following the successful
> vote by the Bloodhound PPMC. Two of the four +1 PPMC votes were from
> the IPMC members Greg Stein and Hyrum Wright.
>
> The result of the vote is summarised here:
>
>    http://markmail.org/message/i3g5t2m7gajuoyv6
>
> The artefacts for the release including the source distribution and
> KEYS can be found here:
>
>    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/bloodhound/
>
> The release itself is created from:
>
>    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/branches/0.1
>    (r1362530)
>
> Issues identified by Greg and Hyrum to be fixed for the next release
> are listed here:
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/153
>

> The vote will be open for at least 72 hours and therefore ends after
> 11pm UTC on Thursday 9th August.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0
> [ ] +0 Don't care
> [ ] -1 Do not release this package (please explain)

+1 for release.

-- Brane

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

[DISCUSS] [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[branching a discuss thread]

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I replied to Marvin, Apache Roller had a hard dependency on
> Hibernate for some of its incubator releases. Allowing that was okay'd
> by the IPMC, VP Legal, and the Board :-)
>
> My view is that these are not true ASF projects, so *some* wiggle is
> allowable, especially with a plan in hand.

Note that even though podlings aren't full Apache projects yet,
incubating releases *are* official Apache releases, and should
therefore be held to a similar standard. If that standard can't easily
be reached, some podlings (like Subversion when it came in) have opted
to keep cutting non-Apache releases outside the ASF until those issues
have been resolved.

> It's certainly a subjective judgement call. I don't know where to draw
> the line, nor whether we must draw it. One of those "know it when you
> see it" things. And we have the judgement of a large body of people
> here on this list.

Personally I'm fine with things like missing license headers or
partially incomplete license metadata (which sounds like is the case
here), as long as those are just omissions that don't fundamentally
affect our rights (or those of downstream users) to distribute the
releases and as long as there's a commitment to fix such issues in
time for the next release. Such minor issues are fairly common also in
many TLPs (I've filed a number of related bugs), so it's not even a
problem that's limited just to the Incubator.

Larger issues like exceptions to documented licensing policy (like in
the examples brought up here) should always be explicitly cleared with
legal, etc.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gosh i'm pretty sure we _don't_ allow things like (L)GPL dependencies
> in Incubator releases, we allow them in the source in SVN but i don't
> recall any releases like that.

As I replied to Marvin, Apache Roller had a hard dependency on
Hibernate for some of its incubator releases. Allowing that was okay'd
by the IPMC, VP Legal, and the Board :-)

My view is that these are not true ASF projects, so *some* wiggle is
allowable, especially with a plan in hand.

(now, I still would not advocate for any release that seriously broke
the rules; at a minimum, get LICENSE/NOTICE and source file headers in
there; work on clarifying your dependencies and their licenses; etc)

> Anyway thats beside the point, ok so lets have this be a precedent
> that sets Incubator policy - we now have some wiggle room while
> incubating to do a release that violates ASF release policy as long as
> it will be fixed soon in another release and definitely before
> graduating. A policy like that would help a lot with avoiding the
> numerous respins some poddling releases are made to do during voting
> on general@.

Exactly. We've seen a lot of back/forth which doesn't really help the
podling very much.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me add one more point on adding dependencies to source releases.
> In addition to license, the dependence contain copyright statements,
> e.g. "# Copyright (C)  2005 Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>".
>
> As mentioned here http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>> If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
>> remove such notices, or
>> move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable project release, or
>> provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or relocation of the notices.
>
> This issue cannot be fixed by merging licenses into LICENSE file.

No, this is not what that source headers page is talking about. That
page is talking about any copyright statements that may have been in
source files when contributed to the ASF, here we are talking about
the licenses of any external dependencies that are included in a
release, and those licenses should be added to the LICENSE file, as
described at: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distributing-code-under-several-licenses

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Let me add one more point on adding dependencies to source releases.
In addition to license, the dependence contain copyright statements,
e.g. "# Copyright (C)  2005 Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>".

As mentioned here http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
> If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
> remove such notices, or
> move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable project release, or
> provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or relocation of the notices.

This issue cannot be fixed by merging licenses into LICENSE file.

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gosh i'm pretty sure we _don't_ allow things like (L)GPL dependencies
>> in Incubator releases, we allow them in the source in SVN but i don't
>> recall any releases like that.
>
> I know AOO had interactions with Legal regarding dmake, dictionaries and so
> on, though I don't recall exactly what went into their release.  I would be
> surprised if any category X dependencies have wound up in an incubating
> release without Legal's involvement.
>
> Lucy's early incubating releases had two Perl-licensed (Artistic/GPL)
> dependencies (which were not bundled, but had to be downloaded and installed
> separately by the consumer).  We sought a variance from Legal and got specific
> approval from the Legal VP for our plan, which involved ditching both of the
> problematic dependencies prior to graduation:
>
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-86
>
> Are there other examples?

The one that I had in mind was Roller. Several of its incubating
releases had a hard dependency on Hibernate. They were required to
clean it up before graduation, of course.

You can look at the archives back in 2006 when it was incubating. In
particular, there is one sent to private@incubator that I would refer
you to:
  http://s.apache.org/c04  [only usable by ASF Members]

>> Anyway thats beside the point, ok so lets have this be a precedent
>> that sets Incubator policy - we now have some wiggle room while
>> incubating to do a release that violates ASF release policy as long as
>> it will be fixed soon in another release and definitely before
>> graduating.
>
> It seems that with regards to this Bloodhound release, the issue is restricted
> to LICENSE/NOTICE, an area where ASF policies are notoriously unclear and
> conformance is arguably spotty even among TLPs.

I've given some bad info in the past, but after the last go-round
(thanks Marvin), I feel that I've got a better handle on it. And
that's the feedback that I've now provided to the BH people.

> So long as the licenses of
> all dependencies are being obeyed (e.g. no license headers or mandatory files
> stripped from source files) and usage is compatible with ASF policy (no
> category X dependencies, etc),

All good here.

> I agree with the judgment call that an
> incubating release need not be held up simply to move the text of the license
> from LICENSE to NOTICE or vice versa.
>
> IMO, this is different from releases with category X dependencies, where ASF
> policies are clear and conformance is very high among TLPs.  I don't see that
> the Incubator should consider this vote a precedent for overturning arbitrary
> ASF policy.

For TLPs, I totally agree. For projects that are incubating... they
are NOT ASF projects by definition. That is why we've allowed a bit of
wiggle.

In any case, Bloodhound isn't requesting any funny deps. Just getting
a release out there which some already-known issues. That's why it got
my +1, and recommendation to just go with 0.1.0 rather than spinning
up a new tarball.

Cheers,
-g

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gosh i'm pretty sure we _don't_ allow things like (L)GPL dependencies
> in Incubator releases, we allow them in the source in SVN but i don't
> recall any releases like that.

I know AOO had interactions with Legal regarding dmake, dictionaries and so
on, though I don't recall exactly what went into their release.  I would be
surprised if any category X dependencies have wound up in an incubating
release without Legal's involvement.

Lucy's early incubating releases had two Perl-licensed (Artistic/GPL)
dependencies (which were not bundled, but had to be downloaded and installed
separately by the consumer).  We sought a variance from Legal and got specific
approval from the Legal VP for our plan, which involved ditching both of the
problematic dependencies prior to graduation:

Are there other examples?

> Anyway thats beside the point, ok so lets have this be a precedent
> that sets Incubator policy - we now have some wiggle room while
> incubating to do a release that violates ASF release policy as long as
> it will be fixed soon in another release and definitely before
> graduating.

It seems that with regards to this Bloodhound release, the issue is restricted
to LICENSE/NOTICE, an area where ASF policies are notoriously unclear and
conformance is arguably spotty even among TLPs.  So long as the licenses of
all dependencies are being obeyed (e.g. no license headers or mandatory files
stripped from source files) and usage is compatible with ASF policy (no
category X dependencies, etc), I agree with the judgment call that an
incubating release need not be held up simply to move the text of the license
from LICENSE to NOTICE or vice versa.

IMO, this is different from releases with category X dependencies, where ASF
policies are clear and conformance is very high among TLPs.  I don't see that
the Incubator should consider this vote a precedent for overturning arbitrary
ASF policy.

If we don't like the poor state of ASF policy and conformance on
LICENSE/NOTICE then the ASF Membership should work to clarify the policy.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Bloodhound 0.1.0 (incubating)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 08/07/2012 12:39 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 07.08.2012 13:14, ant elder wrote:
>> This looks similar to the Syncope release vote thats also happening
>> right now in that the source distribution includes things like JQuery
>> but doesn't mention that in the LICENSE file. I'm a bit surprised
>> people are continuing to vote +1 on the Syncope release knowing that
>> so am I getting this wrong and the JQuery license doesn't need to be
>> included here for some reason?
> The NOTICE file explicitly notes external dependencies and their
> (standard) licenses. Combined with the ticket that mentions adding
> licenses of said dependencies to LICENSE, IMO, this is good enough for a
> release candidate.
>
> -- Brane

I think it is also worth noting that Greg Stein has already mentioned
this - see the first item in
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/153 (which also contains the
link to Greg's email) - and so this will be attended to in the next release.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.