Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Francis Liu <to...@ymail.com.INVALID> on 2016/03/16 18:15:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Backporting Regionserver Groups (HBASE-6721) to 1.x and 0.98

Hi,
HBASE-6721 is now committed to trunk. It'd be great if it can be backported to 1.x and 0.98 so that we can use it internally as well as push up features and fixes. We have been running an internal version for around 4 years. There's seems to be interest (HW, Bloomberg, Salesforce, etc). Also given how modular the code is. There's barely any effect in existing code paths.
Seeding the criteria with Andy's suggestions in jira:
1. Stability - Unit tests and ?2. functional3. Performance - Read/write path was not affected. Some small changes related to assignment.
Thanks,
Francis

Re: [DISCUSS] Backporting Regionserver Groups (HBASE-6721) to 1.x and 0.98

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
I think the requirements so far are fair enough (UT, doc). Other than
assignment, there is nothing in the patch that touches core code (which is
by design). So the risk is pretty low.

We can do the backport and have a couple of ITBLL + ITLAV runs with CM to
verify the stability.

Enis

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Backporting Regionserver Groups (HBASE-6721) to 1.x and 0.98

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. we instead focus on a releasable master

+1

One of the hurdles to the above is that some unit tests in master are more
flaky compared to their counterparts in branch-1.

Smoothing out the flaky tests is non-trivial effort.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francis Liu <to...@apache.org>.
I see, that is indeed undesirable.
Tho based on this discussion there's a bunch of good features that users want that won't fit the criteria for #1 and #2. So allowing a backport of the few that can fit into the criteria shouldn't significantly affect future release from trunk. This way we can have some progress on some features.

    On Monday, March 21, 2016 10:23 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

 Hadoop's trunk branch hasn't had a release in a very very long time. So it continues to accumulate changes that aren't in a release while folks drive their particular desired features back into branch-2.
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Francis Liu <to...@apache.org> wrote:

To summarize so far it seems the concerns for backporting are:
1. compatibility - api, wire, rolling upgradeabability2. stability - destabilizing code and deploys for those that don't want the new feature
Is there anything else?
Elliot what happened to hadoop? Is it neither of the two?
Francis

    On Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:01 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> wrote:

 As long as there is interest in doing the backport work, maintaining and
experimenting with the feature on an actual release (which seems to be the
case for RSGroups and Spark at least) and keeping the code base for
branch-1 stable, there is no reason not to backport. RsGroups (and I
believe Spark support as well) is marked experimental in release notes
which means that there is some room for our client-visible guarantees.

2.0 has it's own timeline and feature set and will come in time. Of course
anybody can propose to cut a release and push for getting it sooner rather
than later. We should all help the effort, but realistically, even if after
2.0 is released, there will be people running 1.x for years after that.

Enis

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Backporting Regionserver Groups (HBASE-6721) to 1.x and 0.98

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] Backporting Regionserver Groups (HBASE-6721) to 1.x and 0.98

Posted by Francis Liu <to...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francis Liu <to...@apache.org>.
RS groups is also pretty non-invasive. It's a cp and the core code is in a separate module.

 I also don't see why we can't have the spark connector module in a 1.x release. I know our internal users would be delighted to have it available.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matteo Bertozzi <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matteo Bertozzi <th...@gmail.com>.
If we cut master now we have

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matteo Bertozzi <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
I remember explicitly saying I was not against a backport of the MOB feature. You are misrepresenting my position a bit. Sure, I'm a skeptic. Not a big deal because I don't think we can or should seek a blanket rule. Sometimes a feature will have sufficient interest and applicability that a backport is worth considering, and then there's a question of what kind of risk the changes envisioned carry. RS groups as implemented are low risk. Meanwhile MOB is highly invasive. I think RS groups would have two large production users soon after introduction into branch-1. I'm not sure about MOB. They are worth consideration on their own merits and on user demand for them.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Because I for one might well want to run RS groups in production with branch-1 code without waiting for or dealing with the other stuff coming in any 2.0. I might go so far as to fork if we end up needing it and a backport is prevented by any intransigent community element.

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] Backporting Regionserver Groups (HBASE-6721) to 1.x and 0.98

Posted by Francis Liu <to...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--