Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2013/12/13 19:33:27 UTC

Deleting Plugin Docs

I would like to:

1. Delete the docs/ directory from all plugins
   - They contain stale copies of what's in cordova-docs

2. Move plugin information found in cordova-docs into a single README.md
file within the respective plugin repos

3. Delete the "API Reference" section of cordova-docs

4. Add a guide called "Cordova Plugins", which contains:
  - a link to plugins.cordova.io,
  - a list of the org.apache.cordova plugins, which link to their README.md
files on github
    - e.g.
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-media-capture/blob/master/README.md
    - These can be changed to point at their plugins.cordova.io page when
that shows READMEs.
  - A link to the 3.3 docs, which still have plugin API reference
    - Mostly, this is for finding non-english versions.

Motivation:
- Plugins are on a separate release cycle from platforms & docs.
   - The documentation is often mismatched due to this
- Pull requests for plugins don't update the plugin docs
   - But I think they would if the docs were in the same repo

Caveats:
- This will mess up our current translations story for plugins.
  - I think this can be fixed up though, by changing out
http://crowdin.netpush / pull scripts
  - E.g. have README.md translations go in:
cordova-plugin-foo/translations/fr/README.md

I'll make a JIRA for this, but want buy-in first.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.
love the idea.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me, makes sense

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
ya I like that plan too

RE: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Nope those remain. The baseline impl just basically webview+those events.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
I've left them there:

http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/edge/cordova_plugins_pluginapis.md.html#Plugin%20APIs

RE: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by "Wargo, John" <jo...@sap.com>.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Agreed, that is a goal. Mike is looking at Docs, Joni/Steve/Anis Plugins,
and we can refresh WWW last.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.

> The problem I saw with the full examples, is that they are copy & pastes of
> the "Quick Examples", but put within an html page and an onDeviceReady
> callback. Given that the default app templates already have this, is it
> really necessary to have it in every example? You can still copy & paste
> without having to replace your entire file. That said, maybe once we have
> our own plugins.cordova.io docs rendering engine, we could have examples
> auto-expand into full page examples via a button?

Yea, as Andrew concluded long file examples can always be hidden with a
little CSS to expand and contract.

In the long-run, I would like to see "Full Examples" live outside of the
documentation in the directory: /plugin-name/example/<name>/index.html

The documentation website can fetch these examples to display, but users
can also run the examples whenever a plugin in downloaded, cloned, or
installed. I think this adds more value to the Full Examples and makes them
easier to maintain since they are runnable beyond copy & paste.

Forgot to mentioned consistency look and feel (i.e. CSS) between the
> *three*primary websites !
> www.cordova.io
> docs.cordova.io
> plugins.cordova.io

In the long-run, I'd like to see http://plugins.cordova.io host the plugin
documentation. It should have a rich navigation that supports multiple doc
file and multiple versions.

This allows ALL plugins to have rich documentation generated from .md files
- not just the official APIs. By making documentation simple, we should be
able to encourage users to write docs for their own plugins.

As Carlos mentioned, the looks & feel of docs.cordova.io and docs on
plugins.cordova.io should be a seamless design experience.

Rad discussion guys!
Michael

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Yes!

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
I'm a bit lost

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Not in the short-term.

I think our docs should be easy enough to write such that all plugin
authors take the time to do it. To me, that means simple .md files.

Might be able to do more fancy things when we host on plugins.cordova.io,
but for now, it's just github's .md formatting.

RE: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by "Wargo, John" <jo...@sap.com>.
Andrew,

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
We'll point them to master as soon as the docs exist on master.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Michael's comments.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Thanks!

The problem I saw with the full examples, is that they are copy & pastes of
the "Quick Examples", but put within an html page and an onDeviceReady
callback. Given that the default app templates already have this, is it
really necessary to have it in every example? You can still copy & paste
without having to replace your entire file. That said, maybe once we have
our own plugins.cordova.io docs rendering engine, we could have examples
auto-expand into full page examples via a button?

Yeah, I now think it would be better to keep the File docs. The immediate
problem with multiple files is that there's no way to do a side-nav with
them hosted on github as .md files. Maybe we could have one file that just
holds all of the examples, and another that's just the API spec?

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Nice Andrew.

Fwd: Deleting Plugin Docs

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
> Michael - Just to clarify, you're suggesting that we put all docs-related
> files *except* the main README.md within "docs/"? This plays well with
> github, but wanted to clarify. Maybe translations can one day go in
> docs_translated/$LANGUAGE

## project-name/README.md

The file should be targeted at contributors. It can describe the
project structure, dependencies, issue tracker location, etc.

It should refer all users to doc/index.md.

## project-name/doc/index.md

The directory should be singular, unless the other root directories
are plural (bins, libs, tests, specs, etc).

This contains usage information for developers using the project as a
binary or library.

It can contain multiple files, but there should be an index.md to
indicate the starting point. This following the web convention of
index.html - if you have the urge to suggest main.md or
project-name.md, then please take a moment to reflect on the early web
with it's attempt at main.html. Index won.

All docs go in the doc/ directory. Translated docs would likewise go
under doc/, not docs-translated/. We can decide on whatever convention
we wish for with the translated documentation. Either doc/<lang>/ or
doc/i8n/<lang>/ would make sense to me. In the case of doc/i8n/ we can
make English the default at doc/<content>/, which would allow for easy
HTML navigation since there would be a meaningful index.html in the
root.

## Filename letter case preservation

Use a hypen ( - ). Not an underscore ( _ ) and not camel-case (CamelCase).

This is the UNIX convention [1] and we are following the Unix
convention for all other directory names (bin, lib, src, www, etc).

## Displaying the Docs

In the short-term, we can point to the GitHub rendered files. However,
that puts us at the whim of Apache's ability to keep GitHub mirroring
alive. In the long run, I'd rather see plugins.cordova.io supporting
rendering and navigating the content of doc/.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#Letter_case_preservation

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Re: Deleting Plugin Docs