Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/02 04:59:50 UTC

A Visual Editor for Airflow pipelines

Hi All,

As mentioned in the user list [1] we are working on a visual editor
for pipelines and adding Airflow as one of the supported backends.

https://elyra.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_guide/pipelines.html

As you are the Airflow devs, we would invite you to help us implement
the best integration possible, in two steps:

1) Getting a solid integration for building and running pipelines with
python scripts and  jupyter notebooks

2) Expand the available list component types and enable more generic operators

One of the questions raised in the original e-mail is related to how
to best submit the pipeline dag to be executed by the Airflow runtime,
we have tried a few different options, starting from the experimental
REST API, S3 bucket syncs and these seem to not be the ideal solution,
 will be looking into git-sync next, but would really appreciate some
suggestions on the best options, particularly if someone has already
done some external integration similar to this.

Feel free to create issues for discussion and or more details

https://github.com/elyra-ai/elyra/issues

Or use this thread for suggestions

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19ca5e61a90910a6b5de6feea186d9138a4cd47c91ea34dd4cce6ff9%40%3Cusers.airflow.apache.org%3E

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: A Visual Editor for Airflow pipelines

Posted by Sumit Maheshwari <su...@gmail.com>.
Is there any open PR in Elyra, where any of the mentioned approach (api,
s3, git-sync etc) has been tried out? I think it's important for Airflow
devs to know the underlying architecture of Elyra to suggest something.

By a quick look at the .pipeline JSON file, it seems like you would need to
do a mapping of it with a serialized DAG's JSON. However, it would solve
only Scheduler & webserver part, for workers some special mechanism would
be needed.

I can join the call as well, if it is scheduled between 8am-11pm India
time.

Posted by Alan K Chin <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi All,

Thanks for responding! We are pretty excited about using Airflow with Elyra.
Regarding a time to meet and chat this week, let's shoot for sometime between
Wednesday and Friday. We can set something more concrete tomorrow once we
figure out everyone's timezones and availability.

Look forward to hearing from all of you!

\--
Alan Chin
CODAIT, San Francisco
Email - akchin@us.ibm.com

[https://elyra.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_guide/pipelines.html](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__elyra.readthedocs.io_en_latest_user-5Fguide_pipelines.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

ai/elyra/issues](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_elyra-2Dai_elyra_issues&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

[https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r19ca5e61a90910a6b5de6feea186d9138a4cd47c91ea34dd4cce6ff9%40%3Cusers.airflow.apache.org%3E](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.apache.org_thread.html_r19ca5e61a90910a6b5de6feea186d9138a4cd47c91ea34dd4cce6ff9-2540-253Cusers.airflow.apache.org-253E&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

[http://twitter.com/lresende1975](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__twitter.com_lresende1975&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

Posted by Tao Feng <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hey Max,

I just saw https://github.com/elyra-ai/elyra . May worth check out for your
use case.

Posted by Max Payton <mp...@lyft.com.INVALID>.

Posted by QP Hou <qp...@scribd.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Which time zone 1pm Friday :) ?

Answering the question - I think there are lots of horror stories about
using the EFS (regarding the quota, guaranteed throughput). I've not tried
NFS, but with the lack of cloud-nativeness and characteristics, problems
might be the same. From the engineering POV, those are exactly the kind of
problems you can expect when you synchronize a bunch of files in the hope
that they will stay consistent across a folder. There is a rather bad
experience about using GCS-fuse in a similar setup (but mostly anecdotal).
The main problem with those is very little control you have over the
transfer and delays, some scenarios which are resulting in huge delays and
lack of consistency. Git solves pretty much all of it. Nearly atomic DAG
sync (all files have to be present locally to be checked out, so while
checkout is not transactional atomic, it is as close as it can be when it
comes to remote file sync). Minimizing the traffic based on git diff
analysis also helps. So I think this is pretty nice characteristics for DAG
sync overall

J.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: A Visual Editor for Airflow pipelines

Posted by Ry Walker <ry...@rywalker.com>.
Let’s go w/ Friday option

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 3:05 PM Alan K Chin <ak...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> @Tomek - Thanks for the link to the Airflow talk ! Checking it out now.
>
> @Jarek - It sounds like git-sync is or rather should be the default way
> users add/modify DAGs. With that said, have you had any experience with
> customers syncing their dags to other forms of dag storage (S3 etc.) and
> what the outcomes were?
>
> I spoke with Luciano and we're both available after anytime after noon on
> Thursday and Friday to chat about this effort.
> @Ry - Looking at your calendar Thurs@12:30 and Fri@1pm both look open,
> which one would fit your schedule best?
>
> Look forward to chatting.
>
> --
> Alan Chin
> CODAIT, San Francisco
> Email - akchin@us.ibm.com

Sent from Gmail Mobile

RE: A Visual Editor for Airflow pipelines

Posted by Alan K Chin <ak...@us.ibm.com>.

"http://twitter.com/casassaez")

<[Jarek.Potiuk@polidea.com](mailto:Jarek.Potiuk@polidea.com

have such integration possible from Elyra :). Let us know what comes out of it
:).

"https://calendly.com/ryw/60min") — and I'll be sure to get a few of the

MNKR8-0&e= "https://github.com/elyra-ai/elyra/issues")

"http://lresende.blogspot.com/")

[Polidea](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.polidea.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
siA1ZOg&r=9sHnXRUkfGz7tZzoTnwwsCnQBT7JEWS9x3yvHWFZpSo&m=2XxJ21Px6dUbjMcXagRxWE1CbiyJeVeQJ88qfDCfFNk&s=Bti6AwFi8_yNtjHW5JYqHnkfXz-
iNEukXNEGzJ2Fl_s&e=) | Principal Software Engineer

Posted by Alan K Chin <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Hello All,

I've scheduled a 60 minute call on Friday, Nov 6th @ 1PM PST to chat about
this integration and have some Q and A.

The meeting link is : <https://astronomer.zoom.us/j/5134172163> (thank you Ry
for zoom link and usage)

\--
Alan Chin
CODAIT, San Francisco
Email - akchin@us.ibm.com

Posted by Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Agree - maybe 2.1 or 2.2 :).

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gerard Casas Saez <gc...@twitter.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: A Visual Editor for Airflow pipelines

Posted by Ry Walker <ry...@rywalker.com>.
Hi Luciano -