Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Wolfgang Schnerring <wo...@wosc.de> on 2002/09/28 14:51:55 UTC

repository permissions

Hello !

Is there a way to give more than one user write access to a repository ?
I've tried making the repository-files group-writable, but as soon as one
user writes to it, any other users trying to write or even read from the
repository are out of luck.

[ for example:
$ svn up
subversion/libsvn_ra_local/ra_plugin.c:223: (apr_err=180000, src_err=0)
svn: Couldn't find a repository.
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
subversion/libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c:143: (apr_err=180000, src_err=0)
svn: svn_ra_local__split_URL: Unable to find valid repository
   (file://path/to/repos)
]

There is a related issue to provide better error messages in similar cases
(issue #900) but I'm rather interested in having the repository
group-writable...

Does anybody have a suggestion what to do ?

Thank you very much for your help,
Wolfgang

PS: I've seen a note about permissions in the 0.14.2-tag,
(http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.14.2/notes/permissions) but the note
is gone in 0.14.3 and I couldn't find any hint as to whether it was
implemented or postponed.

Re: repository permissions

Posted by Wolfgang Schnerring <wo...@wosc.de>.
>> Is there a way to give more than one user write access to a
>> repository ?
> Try:
>
> # chgrp yoursvngrp /path/to/repos; chmod g+s /path/to/repos

I did that, but unfortunately it didn't change the situation.
I'm not quite sure if this problem is related to svn, berkeley-db or something else entirely and I don't mean to bother you with
unrelated stuff, but does anyone has an idea about this ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Wolfgang

Re: repository permissions

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:32:35AM +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 04:51:55PM +0200, Wolfgang Schnerring wrote:
> > Hello !
> >
> > Is there a way to give more than one user write access to a repository
> > ?  I've tried making the repository-files group-writable, but as soon
> > as one user writes to it, any other users trying to write or even read
> > from the repository are out of luck.
> [snip]
>
> Try:
>
> # chgrp yoursvngrp /path/to/repos; chmod g+s /path/to/repos

And the users should set their umask to 002 to ensure that any files created
have the proper perms.

Cheers,
-g

--