Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com> on 2006/08/23 08:53:09 UTC

Archiva should warn when repository path doesn't exists

Hello guys,

I've just tried Archiva as a replacement for my maven proxy. It works
fine, but I had issues when trying to proxy my corporate repo. It is
accessed as a Windows SMB drive and proxied using a
"file://///server/shared/repo" URL. When Tomcat is ran as a service,
this path seems not to be available. This is not an Archiva issue, but
Archiva did not warn in any case for repo not to exist.

I've created a patch for Wagon-file-provider to check for filt repo to
exist on connection (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/WAGON-61)

This is better, but it would be even better to get warned when
configuring the repo that the path is wrong. I've no idea where to do
that and if it may be usefull for other proxied repos (check for http
server when creating an http repo proxy ?)

Nico.

Re: Archiva should warn when repository path doesn't exists

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.
I only get 404 error with no log. As Tomcat is configured for ERROR log
level, I may have lost a WARN log for this, so this may be a config
issue, and is the expected behaviour (the artifact may not be present in
the repo !)

What I expected is not to be warned for the proxied repository to be
unavailable. A file:// based repo can be checked for existence and
read-access when connecting. As connection occurs on first attempt to
get an artifact, I expected an ERROR log. Reading FileWagon I discover
there is no check at all for this.

What I'd consider to be even cleaner is to check the repo when
configuring the proxy. Maybe a new link "check" could be added to the
proxied repo admin, as it can also be usefull to check for http proxies
configuration or acces rights to any type of proxied repo.

Nico.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.