Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Richard Huxton <de...@archonet.com> on 2000/11/01 10:28:15 UTC

Re: Newbie being over-ambitious?

From: "Art Welch" <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM>
To: <fo...@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 10:59 PM
Subject: RE: Newbie being over-ambitious?

> I may not understand what you are trying to do... but it does not look
like
> FOP is too far from being able to do this. My guess would be that "a"
could
> be a static content header or just a normal block area. Then the body
could
> consist of a two column one row table (you did say that this was one page
> right?). Column 1 would contain "b" and column 2 would contain "c" and
("d"
> and "e"). Unfortunately this is where FOP runs into problems. I think that
> to get "d" to flow into "e" FOP would need column support (within a
block).

That was about what I was looking at.

> The good news is that I heard that someone was working on column support -
> the bad news of course is that I do not think that it is done yet.

I saw something about that, and I'm not in a hurry, but if I understand the
spec correctly, columns only apply to "fo:region-body", so don't really work
here.

> IF you
> could break "d" and "e" somehow (manually - so that they do not need to
> flow) then you could just drop in a nested table with "d" in one column
and
> "e" in the other.

Ah, but if I could break them manually, I'd be previewing in HTML tables.

Thanks Art, obviously need to think on this one further.

- Richard