Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net> on 2006/09/01 11:32:57 UTC

Re: Subversion and OS X 10.4

On 1 Sep 2006, at 00:41, Blake Winton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to get the Subversion bindings for Python working
> with my Framework Python under Mac OS X 10.4.  I would also like to
> have my own repository, available under http(s)://latte.ca/svn/
> using the WebDAV interface.
>
> I've gone back and forth, trying to get this all working, with no
> success.  The most recent error (after installing Apache 2, and
> disabling the default Apache that came with OS X, and after
> compiling and configuring subversion three or four times (some
> with ./autogen.sh because a webpage recommended it, some without
> because some email said not to, some with an old apxs from
> DarwinPorts, some without, etc, etc) was make swig-py complaining
> about missing symbols.  That led me to a page which said that I
> needed to compile neon myself, which I tried to, but apparently got
> version 26 instead of version 25.5.

I've had a go at this myself to see if I have any problems, but it
all seemed to work.

I built Apache 2.0.58, Berkeley DB 4.3.29, swig 1.3.29 and Subversion
1.3.1 from source on an Intel Mac with OS X 10.4.7 and using the gcc
supplied with XCode 2.4 (gcc 4.0.1), there are no fink or Darwinports
distributions hanging around.  I built Neon and APR from the versions
included in the Subversion distribution.  Everything is installed in /
usr/local.

My Apache config string is:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-dav --enable-dav-fs
--enable-ssl --enable-so

My Swig config string is:

./configure --with-python=/usr/bin/python

(Don't know if I  strictly need the --with-python switch, since it's
the default location)

My Subversion config string is:

./configure PYTHON=/usr/bin/python \
	--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs \
	--with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.3 \
	--with-ssl --with-editor=vi \
	--with-swig=/usr/local/bin/swig

Again, don't know if I need the PYTHON=... bit

I got the below warnings in the subversion configuration which I
thought was quite amusing...

configure: WARNING: Detected SWIG version 1.3.29
configure: WARNING: This is not compatible with Subversion
configure: WARNING: Subversion can use SWIG version 1.3.24 or later

During make swig-py I got some further warnings:

libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-
darwin8/4.0.1/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-
darwin8/4.0.1/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-
darwin8/4.0.1/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved

but no missing symbols and the dylibs have built OK

I haven't actually tested the swig bindings because I know nothing
about Python programming.  If you'd like to give me a small Python
script that exercises the swig libraries, I'll see if they work
properly.

Re: Subversion and OS X 10.4

Posted by Jeremy Pereira <je...@jeremyp.net>.
On 1 Sep 2006, at 19:13, Blake Winton wrote:

> Jeremy Pereira wrote:
>
> Thank you replying, I was starting to think that I would never get
> it working, so hearing from someone who's able to build it cleanly
> is a huge boost to my morale.
>
>> I've had a go at this myself to see if I have any problems, but it
>> all seemed to work.
>> My Swig config string is:
>> ./configure --with-python=/usr/bin/python
>
> Okay, the first thing that I've noticed that's different between
> our setups is that I'm using MacPython (so that I can import
> AppKit, and WebKit, and all sorts of other AppleScript goodies),
> which puts itself in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
> Current/bin/python

Is that different from the Python that comes bundled with Mac OS X?
My /usr/bin/python is merely a symlink to /System/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python

>> My Subversion config string is:
>> ./configure PYTHON=/usr/bin/python \
>>     --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs \
>>     --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.3 \
>>     --with-ssl --with-editor=vi \
>>     --with-swig=/usr/local/bin/swig
>> Again, don't know if I need the PYTHON=... bit
>
> Since I'm not using berkeley-db, and I have python in a different
> location, I used a slightly different config string, but mostly the
> same.
>
>> I got the below warnings in the subversion configuration which I
>> thought was quite amusing...
>> configure: WARNING: Detected SWIG version 1.3.29
>> configure: WARNING: This is not compatible with Subversion
>> configure: WARNING: Subversion can use SWIG version 1.3.24 or later
>> During make swig-py I got some further warnings:
>
> And here's the second place we seem to differ.
> After I did the ./configure step, I did a "make && make check"
> step, which seemed to work okay, but then "sudo make install"
> complained about
>
> cp .libs/libapr-0.0.9.7.dylib /usr/local/apr/lib/libapr-0.0.9.7.dylib
> cp: /usr/local/apr/lib/libapr-0.0.9.7.dylib: Too many levels of
> symbolic links

That looks like you've already got a broken apr install in place.
Others on the list might be able to shed some light on that, but I'd
start by clearing out everything that Subversion installs and running
install again.

> Do I need to be root to run ./configure or make or make check?

No

>> I haven't actually tested the swig bindings because I know nothing
>> about Python programming.  If you'd like to give me a small Python
>> script that exercises the swig libraries, I'll see if they work
>> properly.
>
> Hopefully, you can just run:
> python -c "import svn"

OK that works fine for me.  Do you want my binaries :)