Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Juanjo Vázquez <jv...@apache.org> on 2007/11/19 10:47:06 UTC

Sling and microsling scenarios

Hi all,

I´ve been thinking about Sling (and microsling) different scenarios and use
cases this weekend. Accordingly, I´m wondering if Sling is intended to
support all the next situations:

1 Sling distribution = 1 application + 1 JCR Repository
1 Sling distribution = n applications + 1 JCR Repository
1 Sling distribution = n applications + n JCR Repositories

For instance, I´m not sure if Sling or microsling should enable to get a RMI
deployed repository.

WDYT?

Regards,

Juanjo.

Re: Sling and microsling scenarios

Posted by Juan José Vázquez Delgado <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> This is probably the default, right ? So I assume this must be
> supported.

OK.

> I am not sure, what you mean by "application". I understand a "Sling
> Application" to be a bunch of OSGi bundles deployed to a single Sling
> instance.

I´m newbie with OSGi but I´m wondering if it´s possible to have something
like that:

http://host:port/app1
http://host:port/app2

with an only Sling instance.

For instance I´m thinking in a scenario where yo have a web site and an
admin site over the same data. In this case, it would be better to have 2
Sling instances over the same rmi deployed JCR repository?.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Montag, den 19.11.2007, 10:47 +0100 schrieb Juanjo Vázquez:
> Accordingly, I´m wondering if Sling is intended to
> support all the next situations:
>
> 1 Sling distribution = 1 application + 1 JCR Repository

This is probably the default, right ? So I assume this must be
supported.

> 1 Sling distribution = n applications + 1 JCR Repository
> 1 Sling distribution = n applications + n JCR Repositories

I am not sure, what you mean by "application". I understand a "Sling
Application" to be a bunch of OSGi bundles deployed to a single Sling
instance. So if the bundles are well behaved (whatever that means, but
it sounds cool) and for example respect each other's repository space
there should be no problem of installing multiple "Sling Applications"
in the same Sling instance.

Now, for these applications using multiple repositories: This is more
daunting as a single Sling instance is generally set up with a specific
workspace (the default workspace) which the SlingAuthenticator logs in
to. If a certain Sling Application uses another repository, it has to
setup the connection and authentication itself (yes, the respective
repository bundles may be of help here, of course).

This raises the question: Running multiple Sling instances in the same
VM: This is quite possible by for example having a servlet container and
deploying multiple Sling instances as multiple web applications. Each
Sling instance can be configured to use a separate repository (or each
may use the same).

> For instance, I´m not sure if Sling or microsling should enable to get a RMI
> deployed repository.

Yes, for Sling the jcr/jackrabbit-client project allows accessing a
non-embedded repositories using JNDI or RMI. microsling only allows
accessing a repository available in the same VM in the default
Jackrabbit way.

Regards
Felix

Re: Sling and microsling scenarios

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Montag, den 19.11.2007, 11:01 +0100 schrieb Thomas Mueller:
> x Sling applications using only 1 JCR Repository
>
> Probably the main question is, are there any fixed paths?

This is basically supported. And yes, there are some fixed paths (at
least in microsling, but also in Sling). But the question is not
actually "1 JCR Repository" but "1 workspace in the same JCR
Repository". Because as long as the Sling instances use different
workspaces, it does not matter, whether the workspaces are located in
the same repository or not.

If you mean sharing a workspace between multiple Sling instances: This
is also quite possible. In fact, this is required if we want to run
Sling in a clustered environment, where we will have multiple instances
of Sling accessing the same clustered JCR Repository.

Of course the Sling Application running inside Sling has to be carefull
as to respect the situation that there may be fellow Sling Applications.

Regards
Felix

Re: Sling and microsling scenarios

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Is this supported as well?:

x Sling applications using only 1 JCR Repository

Probably the main question is, are there any fixed paths?

Thanks,
Thomas