Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com> on 2014/07/09 20:06:14 UTC

Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 05:44:34 +0200
Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de> wrote:

> If you deliberately try to sneak past sensible security measures, you
> should not be surprised to be blocked. The attempt by an honest user
> to disguise any $file (he did it on purpose, so he knows there's
> issues with that) is in no way better than a dis-honest user
> disguising a file.

Since implementing this rule, I have been *shocked* to discover that a
large data processing company (name hidden to protect the guilty)
sends out information about credit-card processing in the form of
obfuscated Microsoft Windows executable files!!!  (They're renamed to
end in ".ex" instead of ".exe")  I tried running one of these files inside
Wine.  It's a "PGP Self Decrypting Archive" that asks for a passphrase.

The mind boggles!  *THIS* is the state of Windows "security" best practices?

Regards,

David.

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by Mauricio Tavares <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net> wrote:

> [...]
> cowardly hiding behind NDA to protect rule breakers.  David DID not
> say he did that - YOU are saying he did - and YOU appear TO BE ARGUING
> IN FAVOR OF DOING IT.
>
> What it boils down to is who are your sympathies for?  The people
> breaking the rules or the thousands of other
> people who are going to find out after signing up with the rule
> breakers that they use questionable and unsafe business practices?
>
> Now, in MY opinion there are only TWO ways to handle organizations
> like "large data processing company"
>
> The first is to work within the system - if for example Large DP
> Company _is_ a customer of David's he goes to them, explains the danger,
> recommends they correct it.
>
> Then when he posts here he says "I was shocked to discover and my
> customer and I are working to correct it" or some such.  I have plenty of
> respect for that, and posting that encourages other IT people to
> do the same.
>
> The second way is to work outside of the system.
>
> You start by sending an anonymous letter to the large DP company
> outlining the security issue and giving them 3 months to correct it or
> you will go to the press.
>
> If they haven't corrected it in 3 months you anonymously post details
> of what they are doing to every security blog and mailing list you
> can find.
>
> In that case, you NEVER, EVER breath a word of the security problem to
> anyone.  No one in the company, no one outside of the company.  You make
> absolutely sure there's no possible way it can be traced back to you because
> trust me they are gonna try like hell to find whoever ratted them out.
>
> I presume David IS NOT doing that or we wouldn't be having this discussion.
>
> If you cannot do either of those options THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF HIGH TECH
> WE DON'T NEED YOU.
>
> You are an administrator.  YOU ARE PAID BY CLUELESS USERS TO PROTECT THEM
> AND THEIR DATA, DAMMIT.  They trust you.  When you walk on by something like
> this business David posted about, and DO NOTHING, you are breaking their
> trust.  THIS is my beef with David's post.  Merely
> posting "hey this is what someone is doing" is just walking on by, kicking
> the can down the road, doing nothing.  THIS is what destroys your
> credibility.
>
> Users don't understand the dynamics of it.  They aren't qualified to advise
> you no matter what they tell you and what you think - if they were, they
> wouldn't be paying you to do the job.
>
> Defending the people like Large DP Company is morally wrong and
> bankrupt.  Mauricio, you need to seriously think about what your saying.
> Would you want the doctor of your child to say nothing when you tell him
> your a 2 pack a day smoker in your home?  Well probably
> you would - but the doctor's responsibility is to the helpless
> child, not to you.  The IT admin's responsibility is to the helpless users
> not to a rule-breaking large data processing company.

      You are putting words in my mouth.  Since you assumed to know
what I am thinking and spent a lot of time writing those brilliant
paragraphs to expand on that, I think it would be unfair of me to say
anything else. And besides, I do not like horses, be them high or low.
Never did.

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 11:43:21 -0700
Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net> wrote:

> SO I think that using PGP was the right course of action here.

Yes, of course.  But they should supply the PGP *software* using a
separate delivery mechanism from the PGP-encrypted *payload*.
Encouraging people to rename and run executable files they receive via
email is not good.

Posted by Dave Pooser <da...@pooserville.com>.
On 7/10/14, 1:43 PM, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <te...@ipinc.net> wrote:

>And when victim of the phish clicks on the SSL link then the browser
>sends out alarm bells that the SSL certificate is compromised and not to
>go there, eh?

If we could rely on users to not click right through that SSL warning, we
would be living in a much nicer world than the one we currently inhabit.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.
On Jul 10, 2014, at 5:17 PM, Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com> wrote:

>> On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:25:50 -0700
>> Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Fundamentally I think the problem is with attachments.
>>
>> No, the problem is not with attachments.  An attachment actually included
>> in an email is no more dangerous than an attachment downloaded via a link.
>> Email attachments are far too convenient; no-one's going to give them up.
>>
>> The problem is that Windows encodes metadata such as "this is
>> executable" in the filename, making it trivial for attackers to get
>> their payloads to run.  The simple act of renaming a file in Windows
>> can be the equivalent of "chmod a+x" in UNIX.  A Windows user probably
>> does not realize that renaming a file can have dire consequences, whereas
>> even a casual UNIX user might pause if asked to chmod a file after
>> saving it.
>>
>> (Note well this article: http://lwn.net/Articles/178409/ which points
>> out that some UNIX desktop environments are repeating the mistake made
>> by Windows.)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> David.
>
> Actually, that goes back to the days of  XX-DOS, CP . . err, umm . . .   Lordy, now I do feel old.
>
> joe a.

Long live Multics and ITS!

-Philip

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by Joe Acquisto-j4 <jo...@j4computers.com>.

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

On 7/10/2014 12:12 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> On 7/10/2014 8:26 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> Symantec is the real culprit here. It is actively encouraging the
>>> compromising of computers with the workflow of its product.
>>>
>>> The proper approach would have been to make freely available a
>>> "Symantec Encrypted Archive" viewer, similar to how Adobe makes PDF
>>> readers freely available.
>>
>> By using PGP they are using an open source encryption algorithm. If
>> they supply their own encrypted viewer then almost certainly it would be
>> closed source and there's no way to know if the NSA or some other
>> malevolent agency inserted a back door - like was done with RSA.
>
> Agreed. It would be better if there was an open-source PGP/GPG archive
> viewer application. However...
>
>> SO I think that using PGP was the right course of action here.
>
> PGP is a red herring here.
>
>> Fundamentally the problem as i see it is lack of verification. You
>> pointed that out yourself.
>
> Um, no, the problem is that this Symantec tool is training people to
> rename and run executable email attachments. The misnamed-executable
> practice is to bypass security policies that dictate email messages
> shall not have executable attachments in order to avoid malware.
>
>> As you properly pointed out - this is a lack of verification problem,
>> NOT a lack of encryption problem.
>
> That too, but when you've trained users to not view "rename and run this
> file" with immediate suspicion, you've drastically lowered the bar for
> malware.

Oh we are already so far down the path to evil under Windows that's nothing.

Under Windows, users don't think of it as "rename and run" they thing of
it as "rename and open"  Microsoft has conflated the notion of running
an executable with the notion of opening a file to edit or view or read.
  Hiding the extensions by default is like the icing on the cake - it's
like Microsoft built Windows to be hacked.

If your going to tell users "don't open an attachment if you have to
rename it" then you are IMPLYING that if they DON'T have to rename the
attachment then the attachment is safe, just save it and "open" it.

The bar has already been drastically lowered by the Windows paradigm as
Microsoft has defined it.  And if that wasn't bad enough they introduced
another paradigm in Windows 8 of applets and such, giving the evildoers
even more hidey-holes in the OS to run malware.

Fundamentally I think the problem is with attachments.  An email
attachment should be regarded as an anachronism.  Users should not be
emailing each other attachments they should be emailing each other links
to attachments that exist on servers, and the SSL paradigm should be
re-architected to do more than just let users click though a simple
warning message.

30 years ago when a lot of email was carried by UUCP then an attachment
made sense.  But today in a connected Internet - absolutely not.

Ted

>> If Symantec replaces PGP with their own custom thing now your not only
>> introducing the lack of verification your also introducing
>> unreliability of encryption, too. Use of PGP is actually the proper
>> thing to do.
>
> Again, PGP is a red herring here.

---

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> On 7/10/2014 8:26 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
>>  On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
>>  John Hardin<jh...@impsec.org>  wrote:
>>
>> >  I'm not excusing their approach, but I'm saying there are a lot of
>> >  sources of real-world friction that lead to suboptimal solutions like
>> >  this. I expect the desire to avoid requiring installation (and
>> >  maintenance!) of PGP/GPG by their (assumed non-technical) customers
>> >  is the primary reason they are doing it this way.
>>
>>  Yes.
>>
>>  Symantec is the real culprit here.  It is actively encouraging the
>>  compromising of computers with the workflow of its product.
>>
>>  The proper approach would have been to make freely available a
>>  "Symantec Encrypted Archive" viewer, similar to how Adobe makes PDF
>>  readers freely available.
>
> By using PGP they are using an open source encryption algorithm.  If they
> supply their own encrypted viewer then almost certainly it would be
> closed source and there's no way to know if the NSA or some other malevolent
> agency inserted a back door - like was done with RSA.

Agreed. It would be better if there was an open-source PGP/GPG archive
viewer application. However...

> SO I think that using PGP was the right course of action here.

PGP is a red herring here.

> Fundamentally the problem as i see it is lack of verification.  You pointed
> that out yourself.

Um, no, the problem is that this Symantec tool is training people to
rename and run executable email attachments. The misnamed-executable
practice is to bypass security policies that dictate email messages shall
not have executable attachments in order to avoid malware.

> As you properly pointed out - this is a lack of verification problem, NOT a
> lack of encryption problem.

That too, but when you've trained users to not view "rename and run this
file" with immediate suspicion, you've drastically lowered the bar for
malware.

> If Symantec replaces PGP with their own custom thing now your not only
> introducing the lack of verification your also introducing unreliability of
> encryption, too.  Use of PGP is actually the proper thing to do.

Again, PGP is a red herring here.

   There is no better measure of the unthinking contempt of the
   environmentalist movement for civilization than their call to
   turn off the lights and sit in the dark.            -- Sultan Knish
  10 days until the 45th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

On 7/10/2014 8:26 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
> John Hardin<jh...@impsec.org>  wrote:
>
>> I'm not excusing their approach, but I'm saying there are a lot of
>> sources of real-world friction that lead to suboptimal solutions like
>> this. I expect the desire to avoid requiring installation (and
>> maintenance!) of PGP/GPG by their (assumed non-technical) customers
>> is the primary reason they are doing it this way.
>
> Yes.
>
> Symantec is the real culprit here.  It is actively encouraging the
> compromising of computers with the workflow of its product.
>
> The proper approach would have been to make freely available a
> "Symantec Encrypted Archive" viewer, similar to how Adobe makes PDF
> readers freely available.

Hold on there a second let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

By using PGP they are using an open source encryption algorithm.  If
they supply their own encrypted viewer then almost certainly it would be
closed source and there's no way to know if the NSA or some other
malevolent agency inserted a back door - like was done with RSA.

SO I think that using PGP was the right course of action here.

Fundamentally the problem as i see it is lack of verification.  You
pointed that out yourself.

A phisher can send an encrypted payload - maybe even encrypted with PGP
with high encryption - that would be unbreakable without the password.
Then they include the password in the phishing email.

As you properly pointed out - this is a lack of verification problem,
NOT a lack of encryption problem.

If Symantec replaces PGP with their own custom thing now your not only
introducing the lack of verification your also introducing unreliability
of encryption, too.  Use of PGP is actually the proper thing to do.

Wouldn't the BEST proper approach would be to send out a link
to a SSL webserver where the end user can download the PGP encrypted
self-extractor?

Now yes I know your all gonna say that a phisher can send out the same
emails to their OWN SSL webserver.

But, the moment law enforcement detects this is happening then the
phisher's SSL certificate gets revoked, eh?

After all, that's why we pay Verisign $10,000 a year for their special
commerce SSL certificates, eh?

And when victim of the phish clicks on the SSL link then the browser
sends out alarm bells that the SSL certificate is compromised and not to
go there, eh?

respond carefully - any negative response and your impinging the honor
of our trusted SSL system!!!  ;-)

Ted

> Symantec of all companies should know better.

---

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 9 Jul 2014, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> You are an administrator.  YOU ARE PAID BY CLUELESS USERS TO PROTECT
> THEM AND THEIR DATA, DAMMIT.

<recovered_monk>
...unless it involves some actual, you know, effort on their part.
</recovered_monk>

And in this instance, Large DP Company *is* doing something proactive to
protect the data they are providing to their customers - they are putting
it in a strongly-encrypted wrapper.

That in doing so they are training their customers to behave in a manner
that makes them vulnerable to malware delivered by social engineering
*may* not be something they would worry enough about to actually spend
money and time on fixing, especially if fixing it involves them forcing
their costomers to install PGP or GPG in order to access a
non-self-extracting encrypted archive. That won't be as visible a security
feature as the PGP archive itself is, and it's not, strictly speaking, a
hole in *their* security practices.

I'm not excusing their approach, but I'm saying there are a lot of sources
of real-world friction that lead to suboptimal solutions like this. I
expect the desire to avoid requiring installation (and maintenance!) of
PGP/GPG by their (assumed non-technical) customers is the primary reason
they are doing it this way.

   Drugs will always be around. Politicians are therefore making an
   active decision to distribute them through violent gangs. --Twitter
  11 days until the 45th anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Although from the pro-gunners out there now we will hear the "software
> doesn't kill people, users kill people" arguments claiming it's not
> Symantec's fault

Please do not go there.

   The fetters imposed on liberty at home have ever been forged out
   of the weapons provided for defense against real, pretended, or
   imaginary dangers from abroad.               -- James Madison, 1799

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

On 7/9/2014 5:18 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:44:27 -0700
> Ted Mittelstaedt<te...@ipinc.net>  wrote:
>
>> David DID NOT say that.  He said that "he was shocked to discover"
>> Why are you assuming he is under NDA or he is an employee of this
>> company?
>
> Let me clarify the situation:
>
> 1) I'm the owner of Roaring Penguin, so my boss is unlikely to fire
> me for breaching company policy.
>
> 2) We operate hosted anti-spam service for a large number of customers.
>
> 3) Many of our customers are quite sensitive about their privacy.
>
> 4) Although I could probably reveal details of this incident without
> consequences, I choose not to out of respect for our customers.  It
> would not look good if I revealed the companies with whom our
> customers correspond to the entire Internet, at least not without
> asking first.
>
> [...]
>
>> Now, in MY opinion there are only TWO ways to handle organizations
>> like "large data processing company"
>
> It turns out that the company is using this product:
>
> http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH149840
>
> to send sensitive information to its customers.  I'm not about to shame
> the large data processing company since the product is probably being
> used by some low-level and harried clerk who was told by IT that it was
> the approved way to send sensitive information.
>
> I am *quite* happy to call out Symantec and say:
>
> Symantec, you BONEHEADS!  You're an anti-virus company and you think it's
> a good idea to distribute sensitive information as a WINDOWS EXECUTABLE???
>
> Symantec, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves!
>
> Is that sufficient naming and shaming? :)

Perfect!!  That is what I was looking for.  Although from the
pro-gunners out there now we will hear the "software doesn't kill
people, users kill people" arguments claiming it's not Symantec's
fault for creating a piece of software that large Data Company is
abusing, but as a gun owner myself I'm pretty immune from that
bankrupt line of reasoning....

Ted

> Regards,
>
> David.

---

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by "David F. Skoll" <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 7/10/2014 12:31 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> You didn't read your own code of ethics.
>
> It states if you have a bias, you disclose it.  David HAD a bias in his
> original post and DID NOT disclose it.  He DID subsequently disclose
> that bias AFTER I had called him on it and I commend him for it.
>
> This is the problem with codes of ethics - it's exceedingly difficult to
> write a code of ethnics that makes it possible to beat someone over
> the head who is being ethical - but is being ethical in a way that is
> insulting.
>
> Now, if you would like to discuss the ACTUAL ethical issue instead of
> trying to use your code to beat me over the head because you didn't
> like the tone of my response - great!
>
> Otherwise, seems to me that I'm not the only one on a high horse
> this morning....
Your continued attacks on upstanding members of the anti-spam community
serve little purpose.  Let's focus on stopping spammers.

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

On 7/10/2014 8:56 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> <soapbox>
> I believe strongly that ALL IT admins would be well guided by reading
> the SAGE ethics guide
> http://www.pccc.com/base.cgim?template=sage_code_of_ethics
>
> Can't recommend it highly enough and I think it would guide well in this
> gray areas on how to handle things.
>
> I didn't like that a poster with good intentions was attacked because he
> couldn't discuss specifics. To me, that's when I look at the credibility
> of the speaker to gauge the credibility of the story. Further, I can't
> think of a single tenant of the ethics guidelines that DFS didn't
> maintain in his posting AND his credibility in the anti-spam community
> is as excellent (as long as you ignore his commercials:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccIzZS_wD6U).
>
> Anyway, there are a lot of bad actors out there that we need to focus on
> stopping. Attacking good actors just because we don't like their
> "acting" (and DFS' acting is horrible) just helps the bastard spammers.
> Please keep this in mind in the future.
> </soapbox>
>
> Regards,
> KAM

---

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

> [...]

>> imagine Windows networks today in the vast majority of production installs.
>>
>> NO EFFING DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Ted
>>

>> PS:  Naturally there will be some Windows-kool-aid drinker who is going
>> to angrily reply to this post claiming Windows is secure if people just
>> followed Microsoft's directions.....
>>

>> On 7/9/2014 11:06 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:

>>> Since implementing this rule, I have been *shocked* to discover that a
>>> large data processing company (name hidden to protect the guilty)
>>> sends out information about credit-card processing in the form of
>>> obfuscated Microsoft Windows executable files!!!  (They're renamed to
>>> end in ".ex" instead of ".exe")  I tried running one of these files inside
>>> Wine.  It's a "PGP Self Decrypting Archive" that asks for a passphrase.
>>>
>>> The mind boggles!  *THIS* is the state of Windows "security" best

---

Re: Obfuscated Windows excecutables (was Re: Ideas sought for blocking new variant of cryptolocker)

Posted by Mauricio Tavares <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.
First of all why do people insist on hiding names of companies that
do stuff like this?  It just makes it look like your manufacturing
an event that doesn't exist, it destroys your credibility.

Secondly, if you think that this is an example of "badness" on Windows
security best practices you simply have not seen Windows deployed in
90% of production networks out there.  This is NOTHING compared to
S.O.P. on most Windows setups.

Imagine MS-DOS/LanManager network security model of 30 years ago.  Now
imagine Windows networks today in the vast majority of production installs.

NO EFFING DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!

Ted

PS:  Naturally there will be some Windows-kool-aid drinker who is going
to angrily reply to this post claiming Windows is secure if people just
followed Microsoft's directions.....

On 7/9/2014 11:06 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 05:44:34 +0200
> Karsten Bräckelmann<gu...@rudersport.de>  wrote:
>
>> If you deliberately try to sneak past sensible security measures, you
>> should not be surprised to be blocked. The attempt by an honest user
>> to disguise any $file (he did it on purpose, so he knows there's
>> issues with that) is in no way better than a dis-honest user
>> disguising a file.
>
> Since implementing this rule, I have been *shocked* to discover that a
> large data processing company (name hidden to protect the guilty)
> sends out information about credit-card processing in the form of
> obfuscated Microsoft Windows executable files!!!  (They're renamed to
> end in ".ex" instead of ".exe")  I tried running one of these files inside
> Wine.  It's a "PGP Self Decrypting Archive" that asks for a passphrase.
>
> The mind boggles!  *THIS* is the state of Windows "security" best practices?
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

---