Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Arthur D'Alessandro III <ar...@artd3.com> on 2004/07/06 20:28:32 UTC

JSP Portlet - Form Submission questions

Questions:
1) Is there a programmatic way built into the Jetspeed framework so that you
can present multiple portlets (all of which may have forms and their own
form handlers) and have a portlets form post the data only to itself?

2) Although I read mentions of portlet instance session information, I was
unable to make use of session state attributes without using the
PortletSessionState; this implementation modifies the PSML, which when using
Role based PSML is not an option as it changes the psml for all the role
members.  Is there another way to track the portlet instance session
information in memory, similar to how the entire portal can track session
information?

3) What does including the js_peid attribute in forms do?  It does not
appear to help, or function at all that I can see.

4) Proper way to pass variables form action handler class to JSP pages? I've
seen a variety of ways of doing this, from rundata.getSession.setAttribute,
rundata.getRequest.setAttribute, portlet.setAttribute etc.  I've found
problems with most of them, in that my JSP pages may use common attribute
names for multiple jsp portlets, which then try to evaluate the posted data,
when the data wasn't meant for the portlet.  We've somewhat rigged this by
using the action handlers, but still isn't perfect.

5) This is somewhat linked to #1, but if you have multiple instances of
portlets on the same pane, and submit a form, how do you differentiate?
I've started to use common attribute method names for the form action, then
populate a js_peid+methodname which is then handled both on the action
handler and on the JSP side, but this seems overly complex.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Environment: Jetspeed 1.4

Thanks,
-Art