Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Praneesha Chandrasiri <pr...@wso2.com> on 2014/06/26 10:07:23 UTC

Doubts on the patch application process

Hi devs,

Shall we provide answers to the following doubts mentioned by Chris in [1]?

1) Patches will need to be applied by both committers and non-committers?
2) Are there different sorts of patches?
a) git diff patches containing source code changes (created as described in
step 3 here [1])
b) structured archive files containing meta data and code changes (created
as described here [2])
3) Are there different reasons for a patch based on above?
a) applying a third parties code changes to your own development tree
b) applying pre-built packages containing binary files (e.g. jar files) to
a stratos instance without having to touch source code
4) Will the Stratos team be providing patches for released versions of
Stratos (e.g. security fixes)?
5) If the Stratos team will be providing patches, where can those patches
be found?

This is regarding the page added on the patch application in [2].

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STRATOS-679
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/Patch+Application+Process

--
Thanks & Best Regards,
*Praneesha Chandrasiri*

Re: Doubts on the patch application process

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chris,

Sorry I did not see the "kernel" part.
Most of the times we might not need to make kernel patches since they will
be created by carbon kernel developers.

@pradeep may provide a better answer.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Udara.