Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be> on 2005/05/19 21:50:50 UTC

#cocoon

Hi,

At the moment, conversations on #cocoon are not logged.

Now, even though that :
- the IRC channel is *not* the recommended way for sharing information,
- no big discussions of interest are happening there anyway,
- we don't promote IRC usage as yet another source of information,

I still think it is useful to log everything being said there and
include it somewhere for reference. All it needs is someone with a shell
account to start a logger bot (eg [1]) and a cronjob to move the output
to a server where google picks it up (planetcocoon?)

What triggered me to write this ? Last week i was looking for a solution
to an obscure SVG scripting problem and found (through google) a comment
in the #svg channel that gave me a hint about how to solve it. No other
mailinglists or docs had this information.

Objections? Thoughts?

Jorg

PS @Mark: isn't there a drupal module for this ?

[1] http://cvs.librdf.org/cvsweb/redland/logger/

Re: #cocoon

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Andrew Savory wrote:
> I'd object because the IRC channel can contain informal chat as well as
> useful reference. IMHO the best way to get useful reference archived is
> for summaries of chats that resolve a problem to be posted back to the
> mailing list. This lets people talk in an informal context, but ensures
> useful content is not lost.

Not all chats have the intention to resolve problems. What is considered
to be "common" cocoon talk for one person can be a source of
high-expertise information for another person.

Nobody will bother posting chat logs back to the list unless it is a
ground breaking idea or decision (which are never discussed on IRC in
the first place !).

A logging bot is a non-intrusive, no-effort way of recording stuff that
just *might* be useful to someone, someday. If logging informal
conversation is a problem, you can always prefix your chat with [off],
which will cause it not being logged.

I would've had this up and running long time already but am having
problems getting the bot to connect to freenode.net (firewall issues?),
and i'm not an IRC expert :(

As an example, have a look at [1] to see how it could work.

Regards,
Jorg

[1] http://svg.jibbering.com/svg/2005-02-01.html

Re: #cocoon

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi Jorg,

On 19 May 2005, at 20:50, Jorg Heymans wrote:

> At the moment, conversations on #cocoon are not logged.

<snip/>

> I still think it is useful to log everything being said there and
> include it somewhere for reference.

<snip/>

> Objections? Thoughts?

I'd object because the IRC channel can contain informal chat as well as
useful reference. IMHO the best way to get useful reference archived is
for summaries of chats that resolve a problem to be posted back to the
mailing list. This lets people talk in an informal context, but ensures
useful content is not lost.

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: #cocoon

Posted by Mark Leicester <ma...@efurbishment.com>.
Hi Jorg,

I'm not aware of any IRC-specific module for Drupal. I'm not really an
IRC user myself, so I'll ask this question of the Drupal community. As
to the hosting of IRC dialogue on PlanetCocoon, the answer is yes, we
can certainly do that. SFTP access is straightforward. Google (and
Drupal) text indexing could be usefully complemented by folksonomy.

Cheers,
Mark