Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dru Devore <dd...@duckhouse.us> on 2005/09/16 14:56:32 UTC

Subprojects and Dependencies

I am working on a new project for creating Web Services for the
business. These will have EJB behind them, for internal Java to Java
use as well as business logic and data models. This is my problem I
need to have a parent project for the WS, EJB and logic with an outside
project for the models, they can be used by multiple projects. I am
currently working with NetBeans and have the Mevenide installed in it.
This is what I want as my structure

parent project

       |--------WS project

       |--------EJB project

       |--------Logic project

model project

I don't have much of a problem with the model project it is the others I
have a problem with. Netbeans builds a nice enterprise application with
the parent, ws and ejb projects and I can then add a logic project to
it with not much of a problem but that will use ANT and I am into the
lib problem in CVS or some common place on the HD of each developer. I
really want to use Maven but don't know how much work it would involve.

Here are my questions.

1. If Netbeans sets this up for me using ANT is it worth it to mess with
Maven?
2. Would it be better to use the Maven ANT task for working with
repositories to solve the lib problem?
3. If I should use Maven is there an easy way to convert the ANT
scripts, I would rather not simply call the ANT for it's targets.
4. If I end up wrapping the ANT is there an easy way to do this?

Dru Devore
So many suggestions so little time.

Re: Subprojects and Dependencies

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dru,

sorry for the quick short reply, but are you considering using maven1 or
maven2 for this project?

I don't know much about maven1, but if you are considering using maven2 for
this my initial impression is that you would be best served to give up the
notion on how it will work with ant or partially with ant and take a look at
the project from strictly an m2 perspective..

if m2 is the route you are thinking of taking then I can probably at least
point you in the right direction since the project I have setup in m2
involves ejbs, wars, ear and some webservices thrown in for good measure :)

I forget who said it, but if you want to go the maven2 route you need to
embrace the philosophy of m2 and see how it solves you problem...not try and
wedge it into your old way of doing things.

Jesse

On 9/16/05, Dru Devore <dd...@duckhouse.us> wrote:

> I am working on a new project for creating Web Services for the
> business. These will have EJB behind them, for internal Java to Java
> use as well as business logic and data models. This is my problem I
> need to have a parent project for the WS, EJB and logic with an outside
> project for the models, they can be used by multiple projects. I am
> currently working with NetBeans and have the Mevenide installed in it.
> This is what I want as my structure
>
> parent project
> |
> |--------WS project
> |
> |--------EJB project
> |
> |--------Logic project
>
> model project
>
> I don't have much of a problem with the model project it is the others I
> have a problem with. Netbeans builds a nice enterprise application with
> the parent, ws and ejb projects and I can then add a logic project to
> it with not much of a problem but that will use ANT and I am into the
> lib problem in CVS or some common place on the HD of each developer. I
> really want to use Maven but don't know how much work it would involve.
>
> Here are my questions.
>
> 1. If Netbeans sets this up for me using ANT is it worth it to mess with
> Maven?
> 2. Would it be better to use the Maven ANT task for working with
> repositories to solve the lib problem?
> 3. If I should use Maven is there an easy way to convert the ANT
> scripts, I would rather not simply call the ANT for it's targets.
> 4. If I end up wrapping the ANT is there an easy way to do this?
>
> Dru Devore
> So many suggestions so little time.

jesse mcconnell