Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/20 22:12:13 UTC

[VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Please review and vote on the 0.90 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for
Java.

The artifacts are available for review at:
http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/0.90-rc1/

This includes the binary and source distributions, the RAT reports, and the
Maven staging repository.

The SVN tag for the release is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/0.90-incubating/

Looks ok to me so here's my +1.

Thanks in advance,

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
 > (cut)
 >
> 3) In docs/, wer'e missing Javadoc for a number of SPI packages listed
> in CHANGES, and more importantly, Javadoc for the SCA Java APIs .

The javadoc for org.osoa.sca.* is there but these packages aren't being
included in the top-level index.

 > (cut)
>
> 8) I'd suggest to rename the binding-echo-appl and
> implementation-crud-client to something else, as most of these samples
> are appls as well, and implementation-crud is not a client, but I don't
> have a good name proposal. I had proposed to rename echo-binding to
> echo-binding-extension but it doesn't fit either as none of our other
> extension modules are named *-extension. These two samples look too
> complicated to me now, but I'm not sure if we can do anything about it
> for this release.

I don't see a problem with naming these samples *-extension to
differentiate them from the other non-extension samples.  As you said
in an earlier post, this makes it easy for users to find the sample
extensions.  These are only sample "toy" extensions and I don't think
this would cause users to put -extension on the end of the names of
real extensions that they build.

I think we should leave the structure of these two samples as is for this
elease (modulo possible renaming), and discuss other alternatives later.

   Simon

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
I fixed the sample problems when we mentioned them before (that's 5 and 6
from Sebatien's list). I can look at other things first thing as it sounds
like we are going to respin. Too tired now to get it right.

I still don't think we wait for a fix for my build problem. It's the first
time it's come up, it's only on the combination of software I have and there
is a (manual) work around.

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> [...]
>> other samples do (e.g. helloworld-ws-reference and
>> helloworld-ws-service). Build.xml would start the server in rmi-service
>> and the client in rmi-reference.
>>
>> 6) The implementation-crud-client does not work (I'm probably
>> responsible for breaking this one...)
>>
>> 7) Like Ant said in another email, it would be good to rename
>> calculator-web to calculator-webapp
>>
>> 8) I'd suggest to rename the binding-echo-appl and
>> implementation-crud-client to something else, as most of these samples
>> are appls as well, and implementation-crud is not a client, but I don't
>> have a good name proposal. I had proposed to rename echo-binding to
>> echo-binding-extension but it doesn't fit either as none of our other
>> extension modules are named *-extension. These two samples look too
>> complicated to me now, but I'm not sure if we can do anything about it
>> for this release.
>>
>> 8) In the helloworld-jsonrpc sample, clicking the
>> services/HelloWorldService link at the top of the page shows an
>> exception, this probably normal as the server expects a JSON request,
>> but confusing. I'd suggest to remove that link.
>>
>> 9) I could not find text in a README describing how I would use the
>> binary distro, load one of the samples in Eclipse or IDEA and run it
>> from there. As a developer that's one of the things I'd like to do first
>> to browse the sample code and experiment with it. The steps described in
>> the samples README only apply to the source distro and require Maven
>> expertise, we should document simpler steps for somebody using the
>> binary distro without Maven.
>>
>> 10) The samples/README says that you can build with mvn from both the
>> source and binary distros, but the steps seem to apply to only the
>> source distro.
>>
>> 11) None of the samples shows the use of META-INF/sca-deployables. I'd
>> suggest to have one of the Webapp samples use that instead of
>> sca-contribution.xml.
>>
>> I think it would be good to respin another release candidate with fixes
>> for (1), (3), (4), (5), (6), (9) and (11) at least...
>

> Which things MUST be fixed to avoid -1s on the next rc?  Is 11 on this
> list
> a blocker? Is the linux compile problem a blocker? Also which things are
> people volunteering to fix? The javadoc one (3) seems a difficult one
> to fix
> to me which could easily end up just making things worse if we rush
> it. The
> 0.90 branch is open to everyone for updating so ideally I'd like to
> just get
> up tomorrow morning to find all the blockers fixed so I can cut anther
> rc,
> but so far its not clear what are the blockers or what the correct fix
> is,
> so its going to be difficult to know if things are in a state where I can
> cut another rc or not. We could spend weeks polishing this point

None of them, that's why I didn't -1 the RC1. If you end up respinning
an RC for other reasons then I'd say that the more important ones for me
are (3), (5), (6) and (9) and it looks like Simon Laws has already fixed
(5) and (6). If there's no other good reason for respinning an RC then
you get my +1 for RC1 as long as we have JIRAs for these issues, and
more importantly an Errata document clearly posted on our download page,
documenting them and how to get around them.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> [...]

binary distro, load one of the samples in Eclipse or IDEA and run it
from there. As a developer that's one of the things I'd like to do first
to browse the sample code and experiment with it. The steps described in
the samples README only apply to the source distro and require Maven
expertise, we should document simpler steps for somebody using the
binary distro without Maven.

10) The samples/README says that you can build with mvn from both the
source and binary distros, but the steps seem to apply to only the
source distro.

11) None of the samples shows the use of META-INF/sca-deployables. I'd
suggest to have one of the Webapp samples use that instead of
sca-contribution.xml.

I think it would be good to respin another release candidate with fixes
for (1), (3), (4), (5), (6), (9) and (11) at least...

Thanks.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
I didn't. I looked at both versions of maven-jaxb-plugin at
https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/repository/com.sun.tools.xjc.maven2/poms/and
both have the odd characters in. There seem to be other
implementations
of the maven-jaxb-plugin around and I tried the ones I could find but got
NPEs in maven. Not sure whether this is the version of the plugin, the
version of jaxb or a real problem. I'm not that faimiliar with JAXB and what
version works with what so I don't have a quick fix. Also tried upgrading my
JDK but that didn't work either.  Am already on Maven 2.0.6.

Happy to try any other ideas people have.

What I have to do is work backwards through this and work out what version
of what will actually work for us (I find trying to work this out for maven
plugins very difficult) and see if I can get a combination that doesn't have
the author name with the non-UTF8 character or where this particular fault
has been fixed. Failing this we will have to get on whatever mail list deals
with it and ask for a fix.

As it stands we can offer a manual fix for anyone who has Linux/IBM JDK, i.e.
run the build until it fails and then remove the problematic characters
manually from the offending pom in the local repo.

I can't say how long this will take but I think we need to get on with the
release and address is next time.

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Simon.

Do you have any luck to fix the problem? If not, we probably have to
document the limitation and let the release out.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
OK, so I can't get the compile to work on my linux box with a simple change
to the version/location of the maven-jaxb-plugin that the build uses. I'm
going to upgrade my JDK and see if that has a positive effect but of course
that has no bearing on the SCA release. As this problem is restricted to a
particular JDK on a particular platform then we can post a note about how to

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I've give the distros a shot on windows xp.

- The src disb. builds clean
- The tried all the samples from the binary dist just following the
READMEs.  Like the others I do find the README for the rmi samples out of
sync and also the  crud-client app does not run.  But all the other samples
run cleanly.

With the rmi samples I am quite surprised because during the code chill time
period I think I fixed the samples to run as per the README.  The RMI Server
sample used a RMI Client ( an not a SCA Reference) and similarly the RMI
Reference sample used a RMI Server (not a SCA Service) and each was pretty
compact in itself.  I am not sure about where it changed after that.

Anyways, looking at it overall I'd like to give a '+1' based on the
following: -
- Though I agree that this is not the most perfect of packages I still feel
none of the glitches are paralysing.  For example, even if the rmi samples
did not work as per the README they contain all that is required to run them
and then there are a whole bunch of other samples that work cleanly
demonstrating SCA and the extensions we offer to date.
- Its been a while since we released and this one has fundamental changes to
how things were a few months ago.  Getting this release out asap is good for
us and to users so that there is enough time for trying out and giving
feedback that can be picked up for our next release which I guess is going
to be in another few weeks from now.
- Finally this is just about 0.90 and I am ok to have the sort of issues
that have been identified with it.  I am happy to know what we need to watch
for in our next release.

Thanks

- Venkat

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/24/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> services/HelloWorldService"
>   Selecting the link "service/HelloWorldService" causes and error.
>
> * There is no sample for how to use the META_INF/sca-deployables feature
> in
> this release.
>
> Build
> =====
>
> * There is a problem building the source distribution on linux with the
> IBM
> JDK 1.5.0. The problem manifests itself
>   with a problem building the databinding-jaxb module. Maven reports that
> it
> is unable to process the
>   maven-jaxb-plugin pom. This occurs because this pom has non-UTF8
> characters. The manual fix is to remove the
>   offending characters manually from the pom in your local repo and
> restart
> the build:
>
>   .m2/repository/com/sun/tools/xjc/maven2/maven-jaxb-plugin/1.1/maven-
> jaxb-plugin-1.1.pom
>
>   remove the non-UTF8 characters from this block.
>
>     <developer>
>       <id>MÆlfweald</id>
>       <name>Malachi de Ælfweald</name>
>       <email>malachid@gmail.com</email>
>       <roles>
>         <role>Developer</role>
>       </roles>
>     </developer>
>
> Documentation
> =============
>
> * Java doc for some of the SPI packages listed in the the CHANGES file are
> missing from the docs directory
> * Java doc for org.osoa.sca.* packages is provided but not included on the
> index page
> * Java doc to the Tuscany Java SCA APIs is not provided with this release
> * Instructions for loading the binary distribution samples into an IDE
> without using maven to generate suitable project
>   files are missing.
>
>   For Eclipse - in a new or existing workspace
>     Create a new java project to represent the sample you want to work on,
> e.g.
>         calculator
>     Import all of the sample code and resources into this project, e.g.
>         File, Import and then select
> tuscany-sca-0.90-incubating\samples\calculator from the filesystem
>     Configure the source path to include
>         src/main/java
>         src/main/resources
>     Configure the output folder to be
>         calculator/target
>     Configure the build path to include all of the jars provided in
>         lib
>         modules
>      If you select calculator.CalculatorClient.java and run as "Java
> Application" you should see
>         3 + 2=5.0
>         3 - 2=1.0
>         3 * 2=6.0
>         3 / 2=1.5
>
> Other
> =====
>
> * Some non-working modules have been included in the distribution and

Listing all these issues like this makes RC1 sound a bit too imperfect IMHO
so I'm now -1 on releasing it.

I've cut a new RC2 which includes all the fixes that have been made in the
0.90 branch, many thanks to all those who've been fixing things there as the
problems have been discovered. It doesn't fix the Javadoc problem, there's a
note in the CHANGES file saying thats incomplete, and it doesn't fix the
Linux build issue, there's a note in the BUILDING file about that, and
there's a couple of other's not fixed as they seemed either to small or
difficult to be worth the risk of the change. Fingers crossed the respin
hasn't introduced any new problems...

I'll start a new vote thread for RC2.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I was looking for the javadoc issue, and the issue is that
maven-dependency-plugin:unpack-javadoc just copy and unpack each
module javadoc files, overriding files with same name from previous
modules javadoc, this is why we only see the index.html from the last
module processed, instead of having a "aggregated" index.html.

I have tried various options to aggregate these javadocs from multiple
modules, without any success.

Does anybody know about some maven hacks to accomplish this ?

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the patch Simon, I have applied it on the 0.90 branch and
in trunk as well and have resolved the JIRA.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Ok, go ahead.

You also mentioned a JavaDoc issue before, would you like to fix that as
well or can that be left to be fixed on the next release?

   ...ant

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Ok, so I'll remove the following modules, that are not part of the build,
from the 0.9 branch : binding-jms, discovery-jms, implementation-spring and
jmx.

As for the javadoc, I'm flexible with that, and I think it can be fixed in a
new release.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Ok :) I hadn't read the JIRA.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Williams <kj...@gmail.com>.
I checked out the source from the 0.90 tag and it builds fine from an empty
mvn repository on Mac OS X and the reactor summary is clean.  I also
randomly chose several of the samples from the distribution binaries
(calculator-script, supplychain, simple-bigbank, implementation-composite)
and they work as advertised.

+1 from me

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
On 21/05/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have done necessary updates to STATUS page [1], and the Incubator
> Tuscany
> page [2]. Note that the changes on the incubator page takes a little while
> to get reflect on the live website.
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/STATUS
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/tuscany.html

I just did another update to [1] to add the news about Andy Grove becoming a
committer,  but I don't know where the source for [2] is.  Can someone give
me a pointer please?

<snip/>

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.90-incubating

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
This seems quite scary: "Release then Test".

Can't we use a staging maven respository to perform a pre-release
test?  Would this require extensive changes to POMs?

I'm at a conference this week and unfortunately I haven't been able
to give the release candidate a thorough review and workout.  I have
looked through the contents and tried a few samples.  I noticed a
minor problem with the javadoc, which isn't a showstopper for this
release.  The top-level docs/javadoc/index.html file only lists
the org.apache.tuscany.* packages.  It should also list the
org.osoa.sca.* packages.

   Simon

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I downloaded the 0.90 binary distro and unzipped it locally. I also deleted
my local maven repo. Then when I follow the README in
tuscany-sca-0.90-incubating\samples\calculator to run "mvn" to build the
samples, I get the following error as appended later.

Am I not supposed to build the sample this way since it's a binary distro? I
[...]

        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:364)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.