Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2018/01/20 21:19:07 UTC

[log4net] exclusive lock on .NET Core 1.x and Linux

Hi all

it looks as if exclusive locking didn't work properly for
RollingfileAppender on Linux for our NET Core tests. This has also been
true for the MONO_2_0 builds ages ago. I haven't checked whether we are
hitting a known limitation so far.

I have disabled the test conditionallly on Linux and the Jenkins build
now finishes the tests on Linux.

Stefan

Re: [log4net] exclusive lock on .NET Core 1.x and Linux

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

On 2018-01-21, Dominik Psenner wrote:

> Sometimes it is possible to configure the test runner so that it runs in
> process instead of spawning a new process. Would you like to investigate
on
> this?

I don't see any such option. We could re-enable more detailed logging
and try to figure out which of the tests crashes the containers in
Jenkins. So far I have been completely unable to reproduce the Jenkins
issue on Docker containers I've created locally.

Stefan

Same here. I'll escalate and forward a question to nunit-discuss asap.

Re: [log4net] exclusive lock on .NET Core 1.x and Linux

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
Sometimes it is possible to configure the test runner so that it runs in
process instead of spawning a new process. Would you like to investigate on
this? I had contact to Rob Prouse of the nunit developers. It might be a
good idea to crosspost to nunit-discuss.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-01-20, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> it looks as if exclusive locking didn't work properly for
> RollingfileAppender on Linux for our NET Core tests. This has also
> been true for the MONO_2_0 builds ages ago. I haven't checked whether
> we are hitting a known limitation so far.

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/22011

we use FileShare.Read which translates to no real locking at all on
Unix IIUC.

Stefan