Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/19 20:20:07 UTC

discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Hi Maxim,

after you have successfully improved and set up our Nightly Build System
(Congrats!!) I would like to start some discussion about our update
mechanism:

The current mechanism is fine as you can switch between from any old
version and import your data to another version. I would like to keep that
import/export mechanism via the web-interface. I think it is easy to use
also for non Sys-Administrators to re-import existing data that way.

However there is no other way of updating the system (except you know what
you do). My idea was kind of inspired by Moodle: They have implemented some
kind of command line interface to do backup actions in their latest version.
I think having the possibility to do the backup import/export also via
command line would be great.
There might be also a possibility to do the initial install via this
command line interface instead of the web-installer via browser.
And for example to add a user to the openmeetings database with it.
This gives Sys admins much more flexibility for managing the system.
>From my understanding the problem with that idea is that this command line
interface to OpenMeetings has to access the same Spring managed openJPA DB
session then the usual webapp, cause otherwise you would need to do a
restart Red5 or some tricks to flush openJPA's cache.
The second big point about it would be security. I think to access the
command line interface it should be possible to auth with the same user
that you auth at the web-interface (admin level users only of course).

What do you think about that?
I think a big plus for this feature would be also that this is a perfect
extension point for system integrators and for building packages for
various linux distributions.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Wagner
http://www.openmeetings.de

Re: discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
I'll create command line tool as soon as I finish with ScreenSharing client.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Repository management is the main difference between linux distributions.
We won't be able to support all at once

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Тимур Тлеукенов <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

--
Timur Tleukenov

Re: discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
I would vote for #2 too.
I only see here the problem with the Spring managed DB Session and possible
caching issues. If OpenMeetings is already Up and running, it would mean a
second Java instance is started to perform the cli tasks? How will that
work for example with OpenJPA's sequence table? Do we have a chance to grab

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: discussing the update mechanism - a command line interface to manage OpenMeetings

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sebastian

--
WBR