Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Wolfgang Jeltsch <wo...@jeltsch.net> on 2006/08/24 12:57:31 UTC

status of Lenya 1.4

Hello,

are there any estimations about when version 1.4 of Lenya will be ready for
production use?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Re: status of Lenya 1.4

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2006 12:57 schrieben Sie:
>> Hello,
>>
>> are there any estimations about when version 1.4 of Lenya will be ready for
>> production use?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Wolfgang
>
> No one knowing if there are such estimations?  Or just no one knowing such an
> estimation?

my absolutely irrelevant guess is "no sooner than november". note that
this is an open interval :)

> And what about the current Lenya 1.4?  Is it usable at all?

it is usable for sure, but there are a number of regressions due to the
introduction of a new storage backend. it's nice to play with, but you
should not bet your ass on it yet (i did, and i've come to regret it
dearly).

> Are there
> problems concerning security or is it just that you won't be able to get your
> work done with the current Lenya 1.4?

there hasn't been a real security audit. security has been greatly
improved due to the implementation of deny-by-default usecase policies a
few months ago. but if you are planning a web application based on lenya
authentication where the stakes are higher than "don't deface my website
please", i'd recommend taking a close look first.
as to getting your work done: currently you are chasing a very rapidly
moving target. if you're not prepared to do that, wait. that said, 1.4
needs all the testing it can get, and if you invest some time in it, you
will get very good support from the devs if you run into problems.

> Or that it's just a bit annoying to
> use it because of ugly bugs?

oooooh yes :)
but the worst should be behind us now.

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Re: status of Lenya 1.4

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2006 12:57 schrieben Sie:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> are there any estimations about when version 1.4 of Lenya will be
>>> ready for
>>> production use?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> No one knowing if there are such estimations?  Or just no one knowing
>> such an estimation?
>
> I post an "1.4 status update" every couple of months

Sorry, that should read "weeks".

-- Andreas

Re: status of Lenya 1.4

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2006 12:57 schrieben Sie:
>> Hello,
>>
>> are there any estimations about when version 1.4 of Lenya will be ready for
>> production use?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Wolfgang
>
> No one knowing if there are such estimations?  Or just no one knowing such an
> estimation?

I post an "1.4 status update" every couple of months to the dev

Re: status of Lenya 1.4

Posted by Wolfgang Jeltsch <wo...@jeltsch.net>.
Am Donnerstag, 24. August 2006 12:57 schrieben Sie:
> Hello,
>
> are there any estimations about when version 1.4 of Lenya will be ready for
> production use?
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

No one knowing if there are such estimations?  Or just no one knowing such an
estimation?

And what about the current Lenya 1.4?  Is it usable at all?  Are there
problems concerning security or is it just that you won't be able to get your
work done with the current Lenya 1.4?  Or that it's just a bit annoying to
use it because of ugly bugs?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang