Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by "Stephens, Drew" <Ds...@rippe.com> on 2007/01/24 16:33:21 UTC

How do I decrypt passwords?

I have a question about decrypting passwords from the User_Login table.
We need to prepare a file of User ID and passwords to an external
system, I think I have found the programming used to encrypt and save
the password to the database but I could find not any logic to decrypt
the password.  Obviously, if we can't decrypt we can't provide the
password.  I don't want to reverse engineer the encryption logic and
then write a new decryption logic; I want to use something that already
exists.

We are running an old version of OFBIZ, I think 1.1 but I don't remember
exactly how to find out for sure.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Drew Stephens
Rippe & Kingston Systems, Inc.
dstephens@rippe.com
Phone: (513) 977-4573

Visit us at: www.rippe.com

1077 Celestial Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1696

=======

Re: How do I decrypt passwords?

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.
Unless the code has changed since I looked at this previously, you
can't decrypt a password as it is implemented as a one-way hash.  You
can only update the password with a new one.  This is a security
feature.

Brett