Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net> on 2007/01/03 16:19:00 UTC

Moving Tomcat

I have a website running with jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9.  The server this
website resides on is going to have to be rebuilt so I am needing to
move everything off of it onto another server.  I know very little about
tomcat, ok, I really know nothing about tomcat.  This website was
created before I started managing this network so I was not involved in
its construction.  My question is this.  I believe that all of the
content for the webpage(s) reside in
/usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps.  If I copy everything from
/usr/local/src from the old server onto the new server will this capture
everything needed for the website?  Is there anything else I need to
know about or that needs moved in order for the website to be accessible
from the new server?

Any information would be appreciated.

Steve

Re: Moving Tomcat

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
you can also install Tomcat from the .tar.gz (on apache's website),
that creates a location independent layout for you

Filip

Re: Moving Tomcat

Posted by EDMOND KEMOKAI <ek...@gmail.com>.
Hmm Interesting, the person was from Oklahoma Court, is that you again?

Re: Moving Tomcat

Posted by EDMOND KEMOKAI <ek...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving Tomcat

Posted by Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>.
Steve Ingraham wrote:
> I have a website running with jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9.  The server this
> website resides on is going to have to be rebuilt so I am needing to
> move everything off of it onto another server.  I know very little about
> tomcat, ok, I really know nothing about tomcat.  This website was
> created before I started managing this network so I was not involved in
> its construction.  My question is this.  I believe that all of the
> content for the webpage(s) reside in
> /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps.  If I copy everything from
> /usr/local/src from the old server onto the new server will this capture
> everything needed for the website?  Is there anything else I need to
> know about or that needs moved in order for the website to be accessible
> from the new server?

Do not forget about JRE/JDK.
Are you sure your webapps does not access any files outside

Mikolaj Rydzewski <mi...@ceti.pl>

Re: Moving Tomcat

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 1/3/07, Steve Ingraham <si...@okcca.net> wrote:

> I believe that all of the
> content for the webpage(s) reside in
> /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps.

Lots of good answers already, but here's some others:

First, use `ps -auxww | grep tomcat` to confirm the directory that
Tomcat is running from (referred to as $CATALINA_HOME). If that is
/usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/, OK, good so far. :-)

Next check $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml for any Host entries
with an "appBase" that points to a directory *outside* of /webapps;
you'll need to copy those directories, too.

There's probably a startup script, e.g. /etc/init.d/tomcat, that will
also provide some insight into Tomcat's running config, and you'll
want to copy that. (It'll tell you where Tomcat's JRE/JDK should be
found, as well.)

You may have iptables/ipchains entries that affect the ports and
addresses that Tomcat's using -- check those.

HTH, and good luck!

RE: Moving Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
> Subject: RE: Moving Tomcat
>
> > From: Steve Ingraham [mailto:singraham@okcca.net]
> > Subject: Moving Tomcat
> >
> > I believe that all of the content for the webpage(s) reside
> > in /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps.
>
> That's where they are by default.  However, apps can be
> deployed outside of the Tomcat directory tree by placing
> [appName].xml files in conf/[engine]/[host]

That was incomplete.  Within each such .xml file will be a <Context>
element with an appBase attribute giving the actual deployment location
of the webapp.  Make sure you copy those as well.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Moving Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Steve Ingraham [mailto:singraham@okcca.net]
> Subject: Moving Tomcat
>
> I believe that all of the content for the webpage(s) reside
> in /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps.

That's where they are by default.  However, apps can be deployed outside
of the Tomcat directory tree by placing [appName].xml files in
conf/[engine]/[host] (usually conf/Catalina/localhost, although you may
have more than one host defined in conf/server.xml).

> Is there anything else I need to know about or that needs
> moved in order for the website to be accessible from the
> new server?

DNS entries may need to be changed to point to the new box, of course.
If you have multiple <Host> entries defined in your conf/server.xml, you
may need to examine them for changed IP addresses.  The same applies to
any filters or valves you have configured.