Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/09 12:28:13 UTC

Integration tests before committing changes or submitting a patch

Hi,

As of OAK-163 I've moved the JCR TCK (or more accurately our latest
version of that codebase) away from the default Oak build to the
separate integrationTesting build profile. Here's what our latest
README says about this:

    To get started with Oak, build the latest sources with
    Maven 3 and Java 6 (or higher) like this:

        mvn clean install

    To enable all integration tests, including the JCR TCK, use:

        mvn clean install -PintegrationTesting

    Before committing changes or submitting a patch, please make sure that
    the above integration testing build passes without errors. If you like,
    you can enable integration tests by default by setting the
    OAK_INTEGRATION_TESTING environment variable.

Both our Buildbot and Travis CI builds are configured to use the
integrationTesting profile.

The OAK-163 discussion brought up the chance that this change may lead
to an increase in accidental test failures. To prevent that, please
remember to run the full integration test build before committing
changes or submitting patches unless you're only making trivial
changes. If you forget that and cause an integration test to fail,
whoever notices that failure first is free to (and encouraged to)
revert the breaking change. If this ends up happening often, we'll
move the TCK back to the default build.

BR,

Jukka Zitting