Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by JZA <ac...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/09 03:06:04 UTC

0 Downloads on stats

Giving some information to a student doing a paper on Open source adoption,
I notice that the stats failed recording the downloads from our provider.
http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html

On 7/17/2015 we had a 0 download that day. Wonder if this was a bug, and
wonder if we could add a note and do a revision of what could have happened.

Regards.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: 0 Downloads on stats

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <ro...@gmail.com>.

> Giving some information to a student doing a paper on Open source adoption,
> I notice that the stats failed recording the downloads from our provider.
> http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html

This is related to a storage fault we had. Failover environment was in play
and downloads should have been served, but we don't have any logs of that.

Roberto

RE: 0 Downloads on stats

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I provided the "[REPORT] Apache OpenOffice ODF in the Marketplace - AOO 4.1.1 Downloads" in response to this question.  It is possible to customize those queries in terms of calendar and also by the version of the release that the binaries are from.

Is that good enough for the student's purposes?

Note that determining "Open Source Adoption" because the intention is to use open-source software and to simply have free to download-and-use software are not necessarily the same thing.  It's simpler when the availability of the source code is tied to people using it for study, QA, or some development purpose outside the project.

In that case, downloads of the source code and the SDK might be better indicators.  SVN checkouts and Git clones might be more indicative as part of that.

I suppose that some might think that the software being open-source is some assurance that its availability will be sustained, and it could be chosen for that reason as well, not just ideological ones.

 - Dennis

Re: 0 Downloads on stats

Posted by JZA <ac...@gmail.com>.