Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Erik van Zijst <er...@marketxs.com> on 2001/03/07 13:51:30 UTC

using method(Object arg) on the server

Say I want to allow a client to pass any object to a certain method.
In Java, I'd simply declare the method  void method(Object arg)  and you
could pass anything you like. Any subclass of Object.

Now say I want to offer this method through SOAP. Then what? Say I have a
number of complex types, declared in the WSDL and I want to be able to pass
those to the method.
Normal SOAP encoding doesn't have inheritance, so if the client uses stub
generators from the WSDL, it would create flat classes for the complex types
with no inheritance, so the client would never be able to cast such type to
Object (or whatever base class).

What am I to do about this?

Erik
--