Posted to user@uima.apache.org by ajay kumar <aj...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/31 09:01:21 UTC

Overhead in running UIMA Asynchronous Scaleout

Hello,
I am trying to compare the runtimes for pipelines running locally and
pipelines using UIMA AS.
I have a setup of each annotators in a pipeline running on different cores.
It shows from the results pipelines in UIMA AS takes around 4seconds to
complete processing which is a huge delay compared to local pipelines. I
wanted to know how much delay is induced from the flow controller
forwarding each CAS and the reply queues.

Re: Overhead in running UIMA Asynchronous Scaleout

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <cw...@apache.org>.
Do you deploy both the uima-as client and a service in the same process?
How do you get your timing? There is a CAS serialization/deserialization
penalty and latency in a broker but should not be huge. The design goal is
to support scaleout of analytics across multiple processes on multiple
machines. For maximum performance we recommend sending a CAS with a
reference to data to be analyzed instead of sending data in the CAS.

How big is the CAS you are sending from the client? If you are using a
default FC, there should be no significant delay there.

Jerry