Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "chino@antennex.com" <ch...@antennex.com> on 2015/07/06 22:37:43 UTC

Spam way above SA threshold getting delivered

As I state in the subject, for some unknown reason spam is getting through in excess of the required threshold, in some cases WAY above like this: spam=YES score=103.60 required=6.00

I've been using spamassassin on freebsd ever since it first came out and quite familiar with how to set it up. My OS platform and SA version:
freebsd-9.3px and spamassassin-3.4 with sendmail-8.15

I need to get control somehow and wondering if I could get some help on a small script that would force any incoming message showing a score above the required=6.00 threshold to be dropped into the spam folder?

In other words, something like required=6.00 compared to emails with the reported score that exceeds the "6.00"
Some syntax that looks for a score < 6.00 = spam. If I could get the /bin/sh shell scripting for that comparision and condition I would be greatful. Alas, I am script-challenged but can understand them once I see the proper syntax. Have written many useful ones but am stuck on this small aspect.

Would appreciate any help!

Warmest regards,
Mark Chino

Re: Spam way above SA threshold getting delivered

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 6 Jul 2015, chino@antennex.com wrote:

> As I state in the subject, for some unknown reason spam is getting
> through in excess of the required threshold, in some cases WAY above
> like this: spam=YES score=103.60 required=6.00
>
> I've been using spamassassin on freebsd ever since it first came out and
> quite familiar with how to set it up. My OS platform and SA version:
> freebsd-9.3px and spamassassin-3.4 with sendmail-8.15

Hrm. Not to be snarky, but if you're that experienced with SA then you
should already know SA is only a *scoring* tool. Something else needs to
take that score and decide what to do with the message.

There are many possible interfaces (glue layers) between your mail
delivery system (MTA) and SA. How you configure quarantine or discard of
messages depends on which interface you're using.

What is your glue? (IOW, how are messages getting from your MTA to SA?)

> I need to get control somehow and wondering if I could get some help on
> a small script that would force any incoming message showing a score
> above the required=6.00 threshold to be dropped into the spam folder?

There are many possibilities. spamass-milter as Harald recommended is just
one. Custom procmail scripting is another. Amavis is a third. Etc.

Since messages *are* getting scored, you already have *some* kind of glue
in place. You need to figure out what that glue is, and figure out how to
configure its (presumably existing) delivery options.

   You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it
   will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the
   wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly
   administered.                                  -- Lyndon B. Johnson
  Tomorrow: Robert Heinlein's 108th birthday

Re: Spam way above SA threshold getting delivered

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 15:37:43 -0500
chino@antennex.com wrote:

> As I state in the subject, for some unknown reason spam is getting
> through in excess of the required threshold, in some cases WAY above
> like this: spam=YES score=103.60 required=6.00
>
> I've been using spamassassin on freebsd ever since it first came out
> and quite familiar with how to set it up. My OS platform and SA
> version: freebsd-9.3px and spamassassin-3.4 with sendmail-8.15

So presumably it did previously work. Perhaps you broke your procmail
script when you added recipes for  .in.net.

Re: Spam way above SA threshold getting delivered

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 06.07.2015 um 22:37 schrieb chino@antennex.com:
> As I state in the subject, for some unknown reason spam is getting
> through in excess of the required threshold, in some cases WAY above
> like this: spam=YES score=103.60 required=6.00

if you want high score mail *not delivered* you need just to use
spamass-milter and configure "-r 8.0" or whatever score you want to
REJECT mails

spamassassin itself just flags mails and adds headers for filter with
sieve or client rules - that's it

with a milter reject score you have two different choices:

* score above X -> flag and add headers
* score above Y -> reject the message