Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2003/06/02 19:58:31 UTC

Back to the charter

Hello all,

It's been some time since we had any discussion on the charter, and we
really should get this all taken care of.  Here's a proposal for getting
this done.

1. Let's take between now and Monday June 9 for any addtional wording
changes that people feel are necessary
2. If possible let's have a vote on the new charter between June 9 and 16.

We also need to elect a new PMC chair, so here's a parallel proposal for
doing that:

1. Let's take between now and Monday June 9 for nominations for the chair
2. Let's have a vote between June 9 and 16.

The current members of the XML PMC are:

Scott Boag
Andy Clark
Shane Curcuru
Christian Geuer-Pollmann
Neil Graham
Kip Hampton
Vincent Hardy
Berin Lautenbach
Ted Leung
Jeremias Maerki
Steven Noels
Santiago Pericas-Geertsen
Gareth Reakes
Gianugo Rabellino
Sam Ruby
Matt Sergeant
Ilene Seelemann
Kimbro Staken
Jason Stewart
Jeff Turner
Dirk-Willem van Gulik
Peter B. West
PeiYong Zhang

Re: Back to the charter

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Ted,

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the current working version of the new
charter?

Peter

--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: Back to the charter

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Ted,
>
> There was also a broader list of issues you sent out sometime back.
> It included these items + some others (Xerces1, PGP, Infrastructure
> etc.) Should we also be going back over that?

I believe this is the list you are referring to (removed stuff that's
either done or covered by the original message in this thread).  I'd be
happy to see us pursue them if people think that they are important...

o Encourage projects to start using the ASF mirroring guidelines
o Encourage PGP signing of releases and improvement of the PGP web of trust
o Update the main web site
o Participate in new jar repository effort being discussed on community
o Figure out what to do about Xang, Crimson, Xerces1
o One or more PMC reps to be part of infrastructure@ w/ concomitant root
privs

Re: Back to the charter

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.
Ted,

Re: Back to the charter

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Ted,
>
> Had another read.
>
> 1. Would anyone have any objections to me running through the document
> and adding numbers to the headings (x) and paragraphs (x.y)?  I find
> it easier to comment and work on documents with numbers.

Please do

> 2. We are talking about electing a chairperson of the PMC.  I assume
> this will then be a recommendation to the Board, so the board can then
> appoint the person as a officer of the corporation (if necessary) as
> per 6.3 of the bylaws?  (Forgive me if I have this wrong - I'm not
> clear on exactly how it all hangs together.)
>
> If this is the process we wish to follow within the PMC from here on
> (it seems like a good one to me :>), then we should "enshrine" it in
> the charter, rather than just say "...must have at least one officer
> from the Apache board who will be the Chairperson....".  At the moment
> we are going to hold an election, but without any clear directive as
> to why or what it means.  (Again - forgive me if I have this up wrong,
> there is more than likely something of which I am not aware?)

The PMC elects its own chair.  That chairperson becomes an ASF vice
president for the duration of their term (which has been unspecified
until we modified the charter).   The reason for the election is that I
have been chair for more than 2 years, and we amended the charter to
specify a one year term.  If we want to have term limits, that's fine too.

> 3. The process for electing representatives to the PMC appears to be
> totally different to what is in the charter.  It is clear that the
> board expects each sub-project to have direct representation on the
> PMC if possible (reference recent e-mail on Batik).  This is not
> reflected in the charter process for electing reps.  Neither is the
> process of having each sub-comittee elect their own reps.
>
> I know there was some reservation about this process when it was
> raised previously.  I _think_ (long time back) Dirk had reservations
> about this possibly creating a situation where we are not necessarily
> getting the best people with a good strategic outlook on the project.

This all came about because the ASF board is trying to increase the
level of oversight over the various ASF projects.   One way to do this
is for each xml.apache.org project to become a top level project with
its own PMC, but not many projects seemed interested in that.  Given
that, I exercised my ability as the chair to hold a special election and
add people to the PMC so that we could get a better handle on what's
going on in the subprojects.   We should probably codify the
per-subproject representation in the charter.

> So again - maybe we should document what is being done and properly
> grapple with how we want to handle the strategic outlook issue?
>
> I've done a _very_ rough and quick hack at the current section on the
> PMC to try to illustrate 2&3 above (I couldn't resist :>), but I have
> not tried to factor in the strategic piece, or a previous discussion
> that was had around rotating PMC membership.  It's more to put a stake
> in the ground.

Could you check your version in -- it's easier to look at the diffs...

> 4.  Gump (second last section) is not really appropriate for everyone
> - not really aimed at C++ libraries.  (Xerces-C, Xalan-X,
> XML-Security-C).  Maybe this should either mention Java or "where
> appropriate"

Yes

Re: Back to the charter

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.