Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by SenthilKumar K <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/27 14:55:14 UTC

Efficient way of Searching Messages By Timestamp - Kafka

Hello Kafka Developers , Users ,

    We are exploring the SearchMessageByTimestamp feature in Kafka for our
use case .

    Use Case : Kafka will be realtime message bus , users should be able to
pull Logs by specifying start_date and end_date or  Pull me last five
minutes data etc ...

I did POC on SearchMessageByTimestamp , here is the code
https://gist.github.com/senthilec566/16e8e28b32834666fea132afc3a4e2f9 . And
i observed that Searching Messages is slow ..

Here is small test i did :
Query :Fetch Logs of Last *5 minutes*:
Result:
No of Records fetched : *30*
Fetch Time *6210* ms

Above test performed in a topic which has 4 partitions. In each partition
search & query processing happened .. in other words
consumer.offsetsForTimes()
consumer.assign(Arrays.asList(partition))
consumer.seek(this.partition, offsetTimestamp.offset())
consumer.poll(100)

are the API calls of each partition.. I realized that , this was the reason
for Kafka taking more time..

What is efficient way of implementing SerachMessageByTimeStamp ?  Is Kafka
right candidate for our Use Case ?

Pls add your thoughts here ...

Cheers,
Senthil

Re: Efficient way of Searching Messages By Timestamp - Kafka

Posted by SenthilKumar K <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dev, It would be great if anybody share your experience on Search
Message by Timestamp ..

Cheer's,
Senthil

Posted by SenthilKumar K <se...@gmail.com>.