Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Michael Owen <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2005/09/15 18:03:28 UTC

[m1.1b2] postGoal doesn't work as part of multiproject goal

Hi,

I've just upgraded from Maven 1.0.2 to Maven 1.1 beta 2, and it is a great
improvement. Many Thanks. :)

However, I do have a problem. I have built a custom plugin which has all the
goals I've built myself, and has preGoal's and postGoal's to already
existing goals.

To explain the problem lets take an example. :) I have a postGoal in my
custom plugin for the goal test:test. This postGoal just copies property
files from the test source folder to the test classes folder. Please don't
dwell on why I do this, or whether I can do this a better way - it's just a
simple example and I do have other postGoal's that are more complicated and
couldn't be done through the POM etc. :)

I have noticed that when I'm in an individual project and I run test:test,
the postGoal gets executed as it should do. However, the problem occurs when
using the multiproject goal (either a multiproject build or building a
multiproject site). When I build all my projects using the multiproject
goal, when it runs test:test in an individual project, as part of
multiproject goal, it doesn't execute the postGoal for test:test from the
custom plugin. (Note the same seems to be true for a preGoal in the custom
plugin)

Am I doing something wrong and I can fix it or is this a bug? I've got a
workaround by just putting the postGoal statements actually at the end of
the test:test goal itself and not defined in a postGoal in the custom
plugin, however, I don't like this solution as I want to separate my custom
code from the already existing code.

Note that I have kept some of the old plugins from Maven 1.0.2 in the Maven
1.1 beta 2 (with taking out the newer ones) plugins, just because some old
plugins have custom code I added that couldn't be put in postGoals/preGoals.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Re: [m1.1b2] postGoal doesn't work as part of multiproject goal

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Nope, so far haven't been able to reproduce. If you can boil it down to a
small test case and attach it to JIRA, it will probably be fixed very
quickly.

- Brett

Posted by Michael Owen <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Yes it is. I have a postGoal for java:compile and test:test. When running
the mutiproject goal the postGoal for java:compile seems to only works for
the first project, and test:test for only the first two projects.

Any chance this has been fixed with
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1638 just not being updated? And if
so, how would I get the fixed version?

Many thanks,

Mike

>>Sounds a lot like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1638

On 9/16/05, Michael Owen <mi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just upgraded from Maven 1.0.2 to Maven 1.1 beta 2, and it is a great
>improvement. Many Thanks. :)
>
>However, I do have a problem. I have built a custom plugin which has all
>the
>goals I've built myself, and has preGoal's and postGoal's to already
>existing goals.
>
>To explain the problem lets take an example. :) I have a postGoal in my
>custom plugin for the goal test:test. This postGoal just copies property
>files from the test source folder to the test classes folder. Please don't
>dwell on why I do this, or whether I can do this a better way - it's just a
>simple example and I do have other postGoal's that are more complicated and
>couldn't be done through the POM etc. :)
>
>I have noticed that when I'm in an individual project and I run test:test,
>the postGoal gets executed as it should do. However, the problem occurs
>when
>using the multiproject goal (either a multiproject build or building a
>multiproject site). When I build all my projects using the multiproject
>goal, when it runs test:test in an individual project, as part of
>multiproject goal, it doesn't execute the postGoal for test:test from the
>custom plugin. (Note the same seems to be true for a preGoal in the custom
>plugin)
>
>Am I doing something wrong and I can fix it or is this a bug? I've got a
>workaround by just putting the postGoal statements actually at the end of
>the test:test goal itself and not defined in a postGoal in the custom
>plugin, however, I don't like this solution as I want to separate my custom
>code from the already existing code.
>
>Note that I have kept some of the old plugins from Maven 1.0.2 in the Maven
>1.1 beta 2 (with taking out the newer ones) plugins, just because some old
>plugins have custom code I added that couldn't be put in
>postGoals/preGoals.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>Mike

Bernard Shaw

Re: [m1.1b2] postGoal doesn't work as part of multiproject goal

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Sounds a lot like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1638

On 9/16/05, Michael Owen <mi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded from Maven 1.0.2 to Maven 1.1 beta 2, and it is a great
> improvement. Many Thanks. :)
>
> However, I do have a problem. I have built a custom plugin which has all the
> goals I've built myself, and has preGoal's and postGoal's to already
> existing goals.
>
> To explain the problem lets take an example. :) I have a postGoal in my
> custom plugin for the goal test:test. This postGoal just copies property
> files from the test source folder to the test classes folder. Please don't
> dwell on why I do this, or whether I can do this a better way - it's just a
> simple example and I do have other postGoal's that are more complicated and
> couldn't be done through the POM etc. :)
>
> I have noticed that when I'm in an individual project and I run test:test,
> the postGoal gets executed as it should do. However, the problem occurs when
> using the multiproject goal (either a multiproject build or building a
> multiproject site). When I build all my projects using the multiproject
> goal, when it runs test:test in an individual project, as part of
> multiproject goal, it doesn't execute the postGoal for test:test from the
> custom plugin. (Note the same seems to be true for a preGoal in the custom
> plugin)
>
> Am I doing something wrong and I can fix it or is this a bug? I've got a
> workaround by just putting the postGoal statements actually at the end of
> the test:test goal itself and not defined in a postGoal in the custom
> plugin, however, I don't like this solution as I want to separate my custom
> code from the already existing code.
>
> Note that I have kept some of the old plugins from Maven 1.0.2 in the Maven
> 1.1 beta 2 (with taking out the newer ones) plugins, just because some old
> plugins have custom code I added that couldn't be put in postGoals/preGoals.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

Bernard Shaw