Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Louis Burroughs <lb...@aholdusa.com> on 2004/11/12 15:39:23 UTC

Problem with Reactor build order

I am having trouble with Reactor changing the build order in my project
when the dependencies have not changed.  At one point I manged to get my
two war files built and installed in the local repository, then the ear
file was built.  After I added more goals, my build order went to fifo
(first in first out).  The adding of the other goals may be totally
incidental, but something other than dependency is effecting Reactor's
processing order and I can't find it can someone help?

My Project Structure:

-top
        -ear
        -war1
        -war2

Top Level maven.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project default="ipm:build-all" xmlns:j="jelly:core" xmlns:maven="jelly:maven">
        <goal name="ipm:build-all">
                <maven:reactor basedir="${basedir}" includes="*/project.xml" goals="ipm-dist" banner="Building" ignoreFailures="false"/>
        </goal>
        <preGoal name="ipm:build-all">

                Checkout from CVS..........

        </preGoal>
        <postGoal name="ipm:build-all">

                Cleanup...............

        </postGoal>
</project>

ear project maven.xml:

<project default="ipm-dist" xmlns:j="jelly:core" xmlns:maven="jelly:maven">
        <goal name="ipm-dist">
                <attainGoal name="ear:install" />
        </goal>
        <goal name="goal2">
                Do something else......
        </goal>
</project>

war projects maven.xml (There are 2 but they both look the same):

<project default="ipm-dist" xmlns:m="jelly:maven">
        <goal name="ipm-dist">
                <attainGoal name="war:install"/>
        </goal>
</project>

ear project project.xml dependencies:

        <dependencies>
                Other dependencies
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>${pom.groupId}</groupId>
                        <artifactId>war1</artifactId>
                        <version>${pom.currentVersion}</version>
                        <type>war</type>
                        <properties>
                                <ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
                                <ear.appxml.ear.context-root>war1</ear.appxml.ear.context-root>
                        </properties>
                </dependency>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>${pom.groupId}</groupId>
                        <artifactId>war2</artifactId>
                        <version>${pom.currentVersion}</version>
                        <type>war</type>
                        <properties>
                                <ear.bundle>true</ear.bundle>
                                <ear.appxml.ear.context-root>war2</ear.appxml.ear.context-root>
                        </properties>
                </dependency>
        </dependencies>

Reactor output:

Starting the reactor...
Our processing order:
ear
war1
war2
+----------------------------------------
| Building IPM
| Memory: 9M/13M
+----------------------------------------

Louis M. Burroughs III, OCTO

Re: Problem with Reactor build order

Posted by Jeffrey Mutonho <ej...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm...when I had a similar problem of a messed build order , it was
because a "copy and paste" error in one of my project.xml files .I had
the same

<id>"blah_blah"</id>
<name>blah blah</name>

in the project.xml files for  two different projects.I had copied and
pasted from one project.xml file to the other and forgot to change
values for the <id> and <name> fields

jeff mutonho