Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2021/10/13 14:11:49 UTC

Arrow sync call October 13 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly sync call is today at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

The Zoom meeting URL for this and other biweekly Arrow sync calls is:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09

Alternatively, enter this information into the Zoom website or app to
join the call:
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call October 13 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.
Attendees:

Ian Cook
Micah Kornfield
Rok Mihevc
Benson Muite
Antoine Pitrou
Matt Topol

6.0.0 release [1]
- RC0 expected in the next several days
- KrisztiƔn will serve as release manager

Bumping versions of bundled dependencies [2]
- Micah raised concerns that this is potentially risky to do
immediately before a release
- Antoine commented that this is good hygiene but agreed that it could
be deferred until after the release
- We should consider maintaining these bundled dependency tarballs in
an ASF-managed location instead of an Voltron Data-managed location
[3]

Discussion about improving efficiency of translation of Arrow objects
to Python objects [4]
- Questions raised about whether to implement this with Cython or C++
- Important to not eagerly import pandas

Proposal to direct user support requests to GitHub issues instead of
user@ email list
- See discussion at [5]
- Proposed next step: Modify the Github Issues template to remove or
soften the suggestion to use user@ for user support discussions, and
assess the outcomes

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+6.0.0+Release
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-14229