Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Nyi Aye <ny...@thitsaworks.com> on 2017/07/26 07:21:05 UTC

Mifos I/O (Generation 3 of Mifos) as part of Apache Fineract Project

Dear Apache Fineract community,

Greetings from Yangon. My name is Nyi Aye. I lead ThitsaWorks, an outfit based in Myanmar, that provide financial technology solutions for Microfinance Institutions to run effective operations and to manage risks using Mifos X.

We have been following the development of Mifos I/O (Generation 3 of Mifos) closely and are pleased with the architecture and design we've seen and evaluated from the Mifos I/O GitHub page -https://github.com/mifosio. We are witnessing tremendous growth in mobile penetration in Myanmar and we are encouraged by the promising opportunities that are possible on top of this next generation architecture as presented in the Financial Inclusion 2.0 webinar led by the Mifos Initiative.

We want to begin building custom solutions on top of the framework but can't do this until the framework is formally part of Apache Fineract.

Please let us know when the framework will be part of Apache Fineract and how we can be a part of this process. We would like to do our part in contributing as individuals so are eager for it to be part of the Apache Fineract project.

Kind regards,

Nyi

Nyi Nyein Aye

CEO & Managing Director

ThitsaWorks Solutions Myanmar Co., Ltd.

Tel: +95-9965732351 (Myanmar)

Tel: +1-347-255 9226 (US)

Email: nyi.aye@thitsaworks.com

Web: www.thitsaworks.com<http://www.thitsaworks.com/>

Facebook: fb.me/thitsaworks<http://fb.me/thitsaworks>

Twitter: twitter.com/thitsaworks<http://www.twitter.com/thitsaworks>

Re: Mifos I/O (Generation 3 of Mifos) as part of Apache Fineract Project

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Hi Nyi,

Thank you for showing your interest in Generation 3. I know that both you
and Thynn have been keenly following its progress. I've seen firsthand with
you in Yangon how Generation 3 can be a powerful tool to enable
mobile-first innovation in a market like Myanmar where smartphone adoption
is so widespread.

I'm eager to work with you and the rest of the community to help you bring
digital financial service platforms to your region.

If you have any suggestions on tools or resources, you'd like to provide or
like the community to provide to help enable the transition of Generation
3, please share them at this wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/Fineract+2.0+Introduction

If you need karma to edit the wiki, please let me know.

Ed

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative

Re: Mifos I/O (Generation 3 of Mifos) as part of Apache Fineract Project

Posted by Nyi Aye <ny...@thitsaworks.com>.
Dear Myrle,

Many thanks for your response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Please see my response inline.

________________________________
Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Nyi Aye <ny...@thitsaworks.com> wrote:
> Dear Apache Fineract community,

Hello Nyi,

Glad to have you here. It's truly awesome that ThitsaWorks is
supporting microfinance in Myanmar.

> Greetings from Yangon. My name is Nyi Aye. I lead ThitsaWorks, an outfit based in Myanmar, that provide financial technology solutions for Microfinance Institutions to run effective operations and to manage risks using Mifos X.

That sounds very interesting.  What scale are you hoping to achieve?
How many offices? How many accounts? What transaction rate?

What do you mean by "manage risks"? Is that a reference to KYC logic,
or are you talking about insurance products, or is this a reference to
security architecture?

What features are you currently using in MifosX? Have you made any
shift towards Apache Fineract as a back end?

Is there anything "special" about microfinance lending in Myanmar that
presents you with challenges when using a tool like MifosX?

> We have been following the development of Mifos I/O (Generation 3 of Mifos) closely and are pleased with the architecture and design we've seen and evaluated from the Mifos I/O GitHub page -https://github.com/mifosio. We are witnessing tremendous growth in mobile penetration in Myanmar and we are encouraged by the promising opportunities that are possible on top of this next generation architecture as presented in the Financial Inclusion 2.0 webinar led by the Mifos Initiative.

Increasing mobile usage world-wide does provide some very exciting
opportunities.  Is it just feature phone usage increasing, or is there
significant growth in smart phone usage in Myanmar as well?  Do you
intend to target UMTS, Android, Windows, or iOS, or some combination?

Also, this sounds like you're most interested in self-service or field
agent operations.  Is that correct?  How important is offline-first in
Myanmar?  Do you have good broadband coverage, or is it patchy?  What
solutions are you using for this today?

> We want to begin building custom solutions on top of the framework but can't do this until the framework is formally part of Apache Fineract.

What kinds of custom solutions would you like to build with Gen 3?
Which features or properties of the architecture of Gen 3 interest you
the most?

> Please let us know when the framework will be part of Apache Fineract and how we can be a part of this process. We would like to do our part in contributing as individuals so are eager for it to be part of the Apache Fineract project.

I'm glad to hear that you would like to contribute.  Are we talking
about code contributions?  Which area of feature development do you
and your team hope to contribute in? What kinds of assistance do you
believe you all will need before you can become effective
contributors? I would like to understand how I can help you.

Best Regards,
Myrle