Posted to modperl-cvs@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <sb...@iil.intel.com> on 1999/07/13 08:34:32 UTC

High traffic on the modperl list, creating new lists

Hello, folks

Have you noticed a _slightly_ big traffic on the modperl list lately? The
problem is that people get unsubscribed, since they cannot stand the load.

Without offending anyone. What do you think about moving 'make' problems
to modperl-build-list, and maybe embperl to modperl-embperl-list ? Thus
people who join the mod_perl community wouldn't be hauled by so many
emails?

BTW, we do move all the discussions of mod_perl garden project to a
separate list, in case you suspect me as a major traffic generator :)

Suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Stas Bekman  mailto:sbekman@iil.intel.com    www.singlesheaven.com/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC at  www.singlesheaven.com/stas/TULARC
www.apache.org  & www.perl.com  == www.modperl.com  ||  perl.apache.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com

Re: High traffic on the modperl list, creating new lists

Posted by doctor jest <ix...@maz.org>.
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> I don't have any numbers, but I doubt the modperl-build
> list would take very much traffic from the main list.
> (?)

yeah but then i would read the modperl list more than once a
week. pressing the d key 400 times for build messages doesnt
really make me want to go into that folder.

Re: High traffic on the modperl list, creating new lists

Posted by Stas Bekman <sb...@iil.intel.com>.
> > Have you noticed a _slightly_ big traffic on the modperl list lately? The
> > problem is that people get unsubscribed, since they cannot stand the load.
>
> I don't believe the problem is that big, the subscriber list is still
> growing.

I've got a few personal emails stating that

> People can also read from the archives and post without being subscribed.
>
> That said, I agree with you - the traffic is a little too much.
>
> > Without offending anyone. What do you think about moving 'make' problems
> > to modperl-build-list, and maybe embperl to modperl-embperl-list ? Thus
> > people who join the mod_perl community wouldn't be hauled by so many
> > emails?
>
> We already have embperl@apache.org; Gerald should just choose to start
> using it. :-)

Gerald?

> I don't have any numbers, but I doubt the modperl-build list would take
> very much traffic from the main list.  (?)
>
> > BTW, we do move all the discussions of mod_perl garden project to a
> > separate list, in case you suspect me as a major traffic generator :)
>
> I'm sure we can get a modperl-garden@apache.org list for you guys if you
> want to keep it in a similar "namespace". I haven't followed the
> discussion very close though, because I'm way too busy already so I
> wouldn't like to end up getting involved in more ... :-]

I dunno yet, we probably want to pick a generic domain as email from Pat
stated like sourceworks.org or sourcegarden.org to create a subnet of
opensource projects for modperl (modperl.sourcegarden.org), guile
(guile.sourcegarden.org) and alike. I'm also in contact with Brian B., but
I don't have any results yet. But as I said we will move the project
discussion soon, but it'll not cut the traffic significantly.

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Have you noticed a _slightly_ big traffic on the modperl list lately? The
> problem is that people get unsubscribed, since they cannot stand the load.

I don't believe the problem is that big, the subscriber list is still
growing.

People can also read from the archives and post without being subscribed.

That said, I agree with you - the traffic is a little too much.

> Without offending anyone. What do you think about moving 'make' problems
> to modperl-build-list, and maybe embperl to modperl-embperl-list ? Thus
> people who join the mod_perl community wouldn't be hauled by so many
> emails?

We already have embperl@apache.org; Gerald should just choose to start
using it. :-)

I don't have any numbers, but I doubt the modperl-build list would take
very much traffic from the main list.  (?)

> BTW, we do move all the discussions of mod_perl garden project to a
> separate list, in case you suspect me as a major traffic generator :)

I'm sure we can get a modperl-garden@apache.org list for you guys if you
want to keep it in a similar "namespace". I haven't followed the
discussion very close though, because I'm way too busy already so I
wouldn't like to end up getting involved in more ... :-]

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/>
more than 14M impressions per day, <http://valueclick.com>

Re: High traffic on the modperl list, creating new lists

Posted by doctor jest <ix...@maz.org>.
id love to see modperl-help and embperl lists.