Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jody Brownell <jo...@corenetworks.com> on 2001/02/15 16:08:54 UTC

setting up logs

Is there a way to set up a log file to report what servlets/jsps have been
accessed. I need the following information ....

- what webapp and servlet/jsp
- time of access
- from where (ip address)

Jasper.log is ok for jsp, if it reported from where but I still need to
now about servlets.

thanks in advance

Jody Brownell
Product Development
Core Networks Inc.
P: (902) 481-5750, ext. 2132
F: (902) 481-5799
jody.brownell@CoreNetworks.com

CoreOS - Broadband Provisioning System - http://www.CoreNetworks.com
Streamline account provisioning, support processes, IP address and DHCP
management and RF level monitoring, for both DOCSIS and proprietary systems.

Re: setting up logs

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jody Brownell wrote:

> Is there a way to set up a log file to report what servlets/jsps have been
> accessed. I need the following information ....
>
> - what webapp and servlet/jsp
> - time of access
> - from where (ip address)

Tomcat 4.0-b1 includes a logger that writes access logs in the same format that
a web server like Apache does.  From the logs, you can deduce the webapp (based
on the context path) and servlet or JSP (based on what you know about how
requests are mapped in web.xml).  The other information is always logged.

For Tomcat 3.2, you could get the same thing by running Tomcat behind Apache (or
another web server) and just looking at the web server's logs.

> Jasper.log is ok for jsp, if it reported from where but I still need to
> now about servlets.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Jody Brownell

Craig McClanahan