Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Ryan Lambert <rl...@zantaz.com> on 2002/01/15 21:22:56 UTC

WSDL File : VB SOAP Client -> Java Apache SOAP Server

Hello...

I have searched the entire internet ( well it certainly feels like that )
and have not found what I am looking for.

I have a Java SOAP Server running on Apache SOAP and have written a great
Java SOAP Client.

I got a VB SOAP Client to work with some of my Java Server methods ( simple
data types ) but this was using the low level API ( Hard coding the data
types into the VB Client ). Now I want to get my mind around the concept of
a WSDL file that will define the interface for my VB Client.

I have been unable to find much on this topic, many article cover WSDL and
the connection with SOAP, all promise follow-up articles with examples, but
nothing ever develops...

Please, somebody, take the Apache SOAP StockQuote sample and build us all a
VB Client that makes use of a WSDL file and that works !!!

Also, I want to know how the interop is going to work for my Java Server
methods that take / return parameters of Java type DataHandler ??? How will
a VB client break this down to simple types ???

Thanks for your help, somebody, anybody...

( The article on the aims group website did not help, I want the dummies
guide please ! )

Regards

SOAP IN MY EYES

+	 Ryan Lambert
(	 Senior Software Engineer
8	 Zantaz.com Inc
O	 5671 Gibraltar Drive Pleasanton, CA 94588

Re: WSDL File : VB SOAP Client -> Java Apache SOAP Server

Posted by Ira Waxberg <ir...@waxberg.com>.
Yes, this would be extraordinarily hepful, and in Perl as well. A Perl client will be a written by a contractor to talk to our Apache-SOAP service.

Does anyone know what Perl will make of the complex type references in the response document such as <return xmlns:ns2="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap" xsi:type="ns2:Map">? Or will WSDL be needed to do the mapping here?

ira@waxberg.com

Posted by Ira Waxberg <ir...@waxberg.com>.

AW: WSDL File : VB SOAP Client -> Java Apache SOAP Server

Posted by Eugen Kimmerstorfer <eu...@ifs.uni-linz.ac.at>.
Hi, I'm not sure if this is really what you are looking for and I'm a
beginner in using SOAP, too, but I managed to get a VB Client working
with the Apache SOAP "Server".

The most important thing you have to do is to modify the
DeploymentDecriptor for the web service you want to deploy using Apache
SOAP. Here's an simple example:

<isd:service xmlns:isd="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap/deployment"
             id="urn:whatever">
  <isd:provider type="java"
                scope="Application"
                methods="login">
    <isd:java class="Package.ClassName"/>
  </isd:provider>

<isd:faultListener>org.apache.soap.server.DOMFaultListener</isd:faultLis
tener>
  <isd:mappings>
    <isd:map encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
         xmlns:x="" qname="x:username"

xml2JavaClassName="org.apache.soap.encoding.soapenc.StringDeserializer"/

    <isd:map encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
         xmlns:y="" qname="y:password"

xml2JavaClassName="org.apache.soap.encoding.soapenc.StringDeserializer"/

  </isd:mappings>
</isd:service>

The important part is the <isd:mappings> - part. For the VB client I
used the following WSDL file (note: this is a simplified version):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<definitions name="Whatever"
  targetNamespace="http://localhost:8080/Whatever"
  xmlns:tns="http://www.whateverservice.com/Whatever"

<message name="InloginRequest">
  <part name="username" type="xsd:string"/>
 <part name="password" type="xsd:string"/>
</message>

<message name="OutloginResponse">
  <part name="return" type="xsd:string"/>
</message>

<portType name="Whatever">
  <operation name="login">
    <input message="InloginRequest"/>
    <output message="OutloginResponse"/>
  </operation>
</portType>

<binding name="WhateverBinding" type="Whatever">
  <soap:binding style="rpc"
transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http"/
<http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http> >
  <operation name="login">
    <soap:operation soapAction="urn:whatever"/>
    <input>
      <soap:body
          namespace="urn:whatever"
          use="encoded"/>
    </input>
    <output>
      <soap:body
          namespace="urn:whatever"
        use="encoded"/>
    </output>
  </operation>
</binding>

<service name="urn:whatever">
  <documentation>A sample WSDL file for a login web
service</documentation>
  <port binding="WhateverBinding" name="Whatever">
    <soap:address
location="http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter"/
<http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter> >
  </port>
</service>

</definitions>

Works for me. Hope that helps.

Eugen

Question from A new SOAP user

Posted by ashish ranjan <ar...@cs.fiu.edu>.
What exactly happens when a SOAP client calls a webservice.(please explain
in brief)

What is the role of WSDL?

What is the use of WSDL at the server side?

Suppose the client knows what all service is provided by a webservice,
then does the client need to process WSDL in any way?

I am asking this because, if for each SOAP call server side loads WSDL
then the process will be very inefficient.

ashish

Question from A new SOAP user

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.
That's not entirely true, a properly configured Apache SOAP server should accept requests from the MSTK fine, its just that most people only test with an Apache client, which hides a number of the steps you need todo to get a Apache SOAP correctly setup. [you need to add the elementName -> de-serializer mappings, so that it doesn't fault when the request doesn't contain any type info]. I've had this working in the past with Apache SOAP 2.2

Cheers
Simon
  You can't get MS SOAP to talk directly to Apache SOAP using WSDL. The two SOAP stacks have incompatibilities that force you to construct your messages manually. The situation is quite a bit improved with Apache Axis (alpha release now available). You also might try one of the other Java SOAP implementations that offer easier integration with MS SOAP, such as The Mind Electric GLUE and Systinet WASP (free versions available).

  Regards,
  Anne

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.